Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cash or traveller cheque? 2009/3/17 13:25
I am planning to spend 18 days in Japan. I will buy a JR pass- 7days from Sydney. I will stay in YHA hostel, 3,000-4,000/night, paying cash. My total budget (accommodation, travel, food,etc) is about 10,000 yens per day. For 18 days, I will need to carry 180,000 yens. I will change money (to yens) from Sydney/Hong Kong.
If I change all the money to 180,000yens in cash, is it save to carry cash? What is the max value in yens, e.g. 5,000 yens?
Do I need to buy traveller cheque instead of carry cash? If it is safe to carry cash, I will carry cash, as it is easy to use, don't need to go to bank to change. Kylie
by KylieChan  

... 2009/3/17 14:26
yen not yens

the largest bill is 10,000 not 5,000. carrying cash around isn`t a problem. most people use cash only in japan. have a small amount handy (1-2 days worth) and keep the rest with your passport tucked away.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

cash or ? 2009/3/17 14:59
I, like many other travellers, use a combination of credit cards (for hotels and other big expenses) and cash that we get every so often from an ATM with a bank card, as we do in every country we go to, from China to Europe etc. . Both the credit card and the bank card are from North America. I haven't used Travelers checks since credit cards became very common.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

ATM 2009/3/17 15:08
"I, like many other travellers, use a combination of credit cards (for hotels and other big expenses) and cash that we get every so often from an ATM with a bank card, as we do in every country we go to, from China to Europe etc. . Both the credit card and the bank card are from North America. I haven't used Travelers checks since credit cards became very common. "

The problem in Japan is that you can't use those cards to get cash from every ATM in Japan.
And some credit card do not work in Japan.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

more cash.. 2009/3/17 15:24
When visiting Japan, I normally carried with me more cash. I made most of my purchases and hotels in cash. I used credit card for big ticket items and when staying in more expensive places than Toyoko Inn and Route Inn. Most of the hotels have in-room safe deposit box or at the front desk. I used them for my valuable items and cash as well. I stopped using traveler's check long long ago.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/17 20:26
I've been to Japan twice and both times I have changed all my money into cash (about 180,000 as well). I never had a problem and from my own experience, and other travellers, Japan is very safe place and normal to carry around large amounts of cash
by Ang (guest) rate this post as useful

What is the max yen withdrawl from ATM? 2009/3/20 10:05
Thanks to all valuable response! I am so happy that I can carry cash and using my credit card to withdrawl money!

My next question is if I am using an Australian saving card (noramlly I can withdrawl max Aus$800/day in Sydney), what is the max in yen that I can withdrawl from Japan ATM?
by KylieChan rate this post as useful

Cash is king in Japan 2009/3/20 10:54
I usually carry enough cash to cover my hotel, food, etc. For shopping, I use my credit cards.

It's generally safe, but be cautious and wear your money on your body (ex money belt). Don't leave your money in your bag or whatever...when you are in a rush, you might forget your purse/bag.
by Banker (guest) rate this post as useful

yen 2009/3/20 10:56
fyi,
It takes time to have to go to the bank and exchange your travellers check to cash.

Japan is a cash based society. They like cash.

If you feel uncomfortable with carrying cash only, do half cash, half t/c.

T/C are more secure than cash; at least you can trace t/c. If you lose cash, it's lost, no trace whatsoever.
by banker (guest) rate this post as useful

cash or... 2009/3/20 14:44
Sandy, I have used Canadian credit cards and ATM cards in Japan since the mid-90s and my Canadian buddy, born in Japan, has used his credit cards for even longer. I used to get cash from the post office or the Sumitomo bank ATM but in the past 2 years use the ones in a 7-11 as there are so many of them (11 000 or so?)
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 15:51
My next question is if I am using an Australian saving card (noramlly I can withdrawl max Aus$800/day in Sydney), what is the max in yen that I can withdrawl from Japan ATM?

Depends on your individual card's limit. Regardless of card limits, ATMs in Japan usually have a maximum of 1 million yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread