Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I buy JR 7 days Pass 2009/3/19 13:56
I'll be Tokyo for 4 days (from Mar,31-Apr,03) and then will leave Tokyo and go to Takayama in the morning of Apr,04 will spend 1 night there and leave to Kyoto on Apr,05. I'll be in Kyoto 2 days and will leave to Osaka in the evening of Apr,07. Be there 1 night and then go back home at the night of Apr,08. (Totally 9 days)

Is it worth to buy JR 7 days pass? Is it cheaper than travel without it? If yes, when should be the first day to use it? Should it be the first day I'm in Tokyo and use it to go from the airport to the hotel? (My hotel is New Izu Hotel, Ueno).

It would be so good if I could have the answer asap. Many thanks in advance for the advice.

M O N K U
by monku (guest)  

Most likely yes 2009/3/19 15:19
If you are doing Tokyo - Takayama-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo within a 7 day period then definitely get a 7 day pass.If I have misunderstood the question and you are leaving from Kansai then it would be a close call.To actually make a saving you would have to use it for a few commutes in Tokyo or around Kyoto/Osaka. Probably still worth it to save lining up for tickets.
Check the fares yourself at
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
by RodW rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/3/19 15:38
Many thanks. My route is Tokyo-Takayama-Kyoto-Osaka. And then I'll depart from Osaka Airport not going back to Tokyo. Is it still worth buying it?

M O N K U
by monku (guest) rate this post as useful

Its close 2009/3/19 18:08
If that is ALL you are doing to do then no. You will pay about Y2000 more for the pass than the total of your fares. BUT if you plan to do any other travelling by JR trains during that period it could be very close. I strongly suggest that you use the link I gave you and lay out the fares against a calendar of your proposed travels. Does it come to more or less than Y28300. What you have stated comes to about Y26000.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Thank you again 2009/3/19 18:17
Many many thanks. That's very useful to me. I'll check with the website given against my plan again.

Thank you very much.

M O N K U
by monku (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread