Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Tokyo Station to Hakone 2009/3/19 17:12
Heard a lot of Hakone, a place not to be missed therefore would like to spend a day there using the Hakone free pass.

Can someone guide me what is the best way for me to travel to Hakone from Tokyo station. Am I correct to say, it's Shinagawa station.

Also what's the best route for me to travel inside Hakone using the Hakone free pass whereby I can go on a railway ride, sightseeing boat, then ropeway.

Is it more troublesome for me to use the romance car from Shinjuku.

By the way, where is Odawara. Is it a train station name.
by Ltan  

... 2009/3/19 21:34
Type Hakone on the search column and you'll find a lot of useful answers on this topic which had been discussed many many times before.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/19 23:54
Can someone guide me what is the best way for me to travel to Hakone from Tokyo station. Am I correct to say, it's Shinagawa station

It really depends on how fast you want to get there and how many times you want to transfer between trains.

Try the Hyperdia site: http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi and type in "Tokyo" for your start point, and "Gora" for you destination. That will get you to the inclined railway that takes you to the ropeway. If you want to go the reverse route, type in Hakoneyumoto.

Also what's the best route for me to travel inside Hakone using the Hakone free pass whereby I can go on a railway ride, sightseeing boat, then ropeway.

Personal preference. I went railroad, ropeway, boat, bus. (counterclockwise). This website will tell you all about the Hakone Freepass and much about Hakone. http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

The Odakyu website also tells you much about the Romance Cars.

Also, as mentioned above, check out Japan-guide.com for info.

Odawara is a city and is also a station. The Hakone-Tozan railway starts there and the Shinkansen's make a stop as do the Odakyu Romance Trains.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 08:10
by Uji rate this post as useful

Nara and Himeji Castle 2009/3/21 11:34
Can I travel from Osaka to Himeji Castle and then to Nara in a day?

As I have my JR pass how do I travel from Himeji Castle to Nara.

And should I go to Himeji Castle first or Nara. Which way is more convenient.

Please could I have your valuable advice. Thank you
by Ltan rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/21 12:03
Can I travel from Osaka to Himeji Castle and then to Nara in a day?

Yes.

Osaka to Himeji takes about 1 hour. Himeji to Nara takes about 2 hours.

As I have my JR pass how do I travel from Himeji Castle to Nara.

There are two main options:

1) Himeji - (special rapid on Tokaido Line) - Osaka - (rapid on Yamatoji Line) - Nara

2) Himeji - (shinkansen) - Kyoto - (Nara Line) - Nara

And should I go to Himeji Castle first or Nara.

It probably does not matter. It could depend a little bit on where in Osaka you will be based.

In any case, it will be a packed day with only very limited time in Nara. Make sure to research the opening hours in advance and plan accordingly.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you Uji 2009/3/21 18:59
I am putting up near JR Osaka station. If it is too rush, I shall split these two places in different days then.
by Ltan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread