Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt. Fuji - Specific time of day 2009/3/20 00:21
Hi again. What was supposed to be a group trip to Japan has turned into a solo one. Fine by me. I have a couple questions about climbing Mt. Fuji:

1. Can I do this solo? Clearly, I won't be the only one climbing, but I was wondering if I need to have a companion with me for safety reasons.

2. I'll be going up the via the Kawaguchiko 5th Station. what time do I need to actually start the hike up in order to have ample rest at a mountain inn and still arrive at the summit for sunrise? I'll be coming in from Kofu and would like to know what time I need to be at the 5th Station. Is starting at 3pm reasonable?

Thanks!
by aurora (guest)  

... 2009/3/20 16:16
If you hike during the official climbing season, hiking alone is no problem, whatsoever.

Most people arrive at their mountain huts by 6pm. I recommend to start the hike from the 5th Station around noon, although it depends on how high up the mountain your hut is located.
by Uji rate this post as useful

One more question 2009/3/20 22:50
Thanks Uji. Is it absolutely necessary to stay at a mountain hut? Some people do, some don't. I wouldn't dare climb without resting, but are there places along the trails to rest? Is this feasible: since the hike via the Kawaguchiko trail is about 5 to 7 hours, I could start climbing at about 6 or 7 in the evening and really take my time, eventually reaching the peak for sunrise. Possible or wishful thinking?
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 23:16
I wouldn't dare climb without resting, but are there places along the trails to rest?

There are some benches around the huts to sit down.

Possible or wishful thinking?

Many people do it that way. If you are in good physical condition it should be possible. However, the risk of altitude sickness is also higher if you climb without a break along the ascent.
by Uji rate this post as useful

THANKS!! 2009/3/20 23:30
Thank you.
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread