Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Question 2009/3/20 01:56
Hi!
Couldn't find information on the following questions:

1. I'd like to know whether you can take a hot air balloon ride somewhere in the Shiretoko area. The closest that I could find is at Kiyosato Ihatov YH.
http://www.youthhostel.or.jp/English/e_kiyosato.htm
This is a mooring flight though, the free flights are only held during winter. Does anyone know whether you can see as far as Shiretoko Peninsula from that moored balloon?

2. Is wild camping allowed in Japan? Well, Wikitravel says it is illegal in most of Japan, but until you simply pitch your tent late and leave early, nobody cares. Moreover, depending on the rental car size, I would consider to just lean back and sleep in the car, somewhere on a remote road or parking area, and staying at camping grounds from time to time...do you see any problems? I saw some photos of bikers in Wakkanai, putting their tent right on the road under the breakwater dome.

3. When taking the ferry from Wakkanai to Rebunto, I'd like to park the car somewhere in Wakkanai, because of the fare. It also seems to be pointless to use a car at Rebunto, right? Anyway, is there a free parking area anywhere? Also I heard rumors that cars could be stolen when left there. Considering that the car will be parked there for at least 3 days, I'm not really relieved about this situation. In addition, do I have to stick a note behind the windscreen, so it won't get towed away?

Well, that's it so far. I would really appreciate if someone had expierienced any of the questions and could tell me some details. Thanks a lot!

Georg

by Georg 87  

... 2009/3/20 16:33
Is wild camping allowed in Japan?

I believe camping is illegal outside of designated camp grounds.

Well, Wikitravel says it is illegal in most of Japan, but until you simply pitch your tent late and leave early, nobody cares.

Depending on where you put your tent, people might care, especially if it is close to inhabited areas or in a national park.

It also seems to be pointless to use a car at Rebunto, right?

Rebunto is rather big. About 30 kilometers from the ferry pier to the northern cape. And the bus service is rather poor. Depending on what you plan to do, a car can be useful, but both, renting it on the island or getting it to the island by ferry, is very expensive, indeed.

Anyway, is there a free parking area anywhere?

There is a parking lot at the Wakkanai ferry terminal. The cost is 1000 yen per calendar day, e.g. 2000 yen for one overnight stay. 3000 yen for two overnight stays, etc.

Also I heard rumors that cars could be stolen when left there.

Auto theft is not a big problem in Japan. Especially when compared with other countries. The risk is especially low in paid parking lots, which usually have some kind of surveillance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Try this 2009/3/20 17:36
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 19:56
Thanks a lot for your information, Uji!

As for Rebunto, I plan to hike a lot. Do you think it's possible to catch a bus just on the road? I mean, if I don't manage to get to the bus stop right in time, can I just "hitch-hike" a bus somewhere along the road? Will they stop? Considering that it's Rebunto, and there aren't that much buses, tourists...and the driver is a friendly one ;)

And Chris, this site was really useful too! Since there are many free ones I will rather go there and don't camp wild ^^.
Despite they are free, I guess you will have to pay for bathroom facilities though?
by Georg 87 rate this post as useful

I think 2009/3/20 20:35
many of the campsites can be reached easier by car. Public transport does not seem a good choice considering their locations.

Some of them have cottage too. However, I believe most of them have a charge for using the campsite
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 21:40
Yes, I will be travelling by car, not by public transport! Therefore the website seems very convenient.
I only meant to use the public transport on Rebunto, because I don't want to pay 2x JPY 18.500,- for the ferry ;)

by Georg 87 rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/20 23:23
Do you think it's possible to catch a bus just on the road?

It depends on the character and mood of the driver. I would not count on it, but rather plan according to the timetables.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.... 2009/3/21 00:26
Inside the Wakkanai train station is the Wakkanai Tourist Information Center, the lady is friendly and helpful. She speaks some English. She might be able to help you.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread