Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two weeks in Japan - aggressive? 2009/3/20 05:50
Hi All -

This has been a very helpful forum and I am close to finalizing a trip to Japan in mid-May, hopefully after Golden Week travel has eased down.

It's my first time to Japan (travelled alot thru asia), but I wanted to try to be a bit off the beaten path, unfortunately its shaping up to be a lot of travel between destinations.

This is what I'm thinking:

Day 1-3: Arrive in Tokyo, basic sightseeing

Day 4-7: Hokkaido by car, Lake Akan and Shiretoku.

Day 8-12: Fukuoka/Kagoshima/Yakushima Island

Day 13: Depart from Tokyo

The days are a bit flexible and I totally realize that this is quite aggressive. But I'd love to hear from any experts if this is even remotely doable, and if not, which leg of the trip should be first to go. Or if there is a 2 week itinerary you can think of that is similar in spirit, I would love to hear any recs as well.

Many thanks in advance!
by testor  

... 2009/3/20 16:44
This is very aggressive, indeed, especially only two full days for Hokkaido. But it is possible if you arrange it well and travel at a very fast pace.

The following would be an efficient route:

Tokyo - (air) - Kushiro - (car) - Akan - (car) - Shiretoko - (car) - Memanbetsu - (air) - Tokyo - (air) - Fukuoka - (train) - Kagoshima - (ferry) - Yakushima - (air) - Kagoshima - (air) - Tokyo

For example:

day 1: arrive in Tokyo
day 2-3: Tokyo
day 4: fly from Tokyo to Kushiro, drive to Akan NP
day 5: see Akan NP, drive to Shiretoko
day 6: see Shiretoko
day 7: drive to Memanbetsu Airport, fly via Tokyo or Osaka to Fukuoka
day 8: see Fukuoka, take the train to Kagoshima
day 9: see Kagoshima, take the ferry to Yaksuhima
day 10: Yakushima
day 11: Yakushima
day 12: fly via Kagoshima to Tokyo
day 13: leave Tokyo

As you can see, you will often not even have a full day for sightseeing in each of the places you visit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Regarding driving 2009/3/21 02:29
Please think carefully about driving in Japan. If you have limited or nonexistent Japanese driving can be very difficult. (don't forget, they drive on the left, England-style) A friend of mine in Japan reports that even with his fluent Japanese he is at a disadvantage should there be a problem.
by Kenneth Marks rate this post as useful

Driving in Japan 2009/3/21 03:27
I agree that driving in Japan without an understanding of the Japanese language can be a little difficult. However, I have driven quite a lot in Japan and I think it can be done. Most signs are in both Japanese and English. I would more concerned that you have good directions to where you are going and suggest that you research all rules of the road for Japan. For example, unlike the US, you can never turn left (remember they drive on the left-hand side) when sitting at a red light. Also, all cars must stop and look both ways before a railway crossing (like a school bus in the US). Also, based on the fact that you say you have traveled a lot throughout Asia, I think you can drive in Japan.
by bjair rate this post as useful

Thanks for all your input 2009/3/21 05:31
Thanks for all your feedback!

I'm starting to agree that this is too agressive and I will be spreading myself out too thin over the duration of the journey. Better to focus on two areas and fully experience each.

So now i am thinking 4ish days in tokyo (maybe tack on a daytrip to Kyoto).

And then fly to Kushiro, pick up a car and drive to Sapporo - stopping along the way at Akan, Shiretoko, Takinoue, Furano. Probably spend around 6 days total in Hokkaido.

WIth Spring in bloom and the chance to catch some late cherry blossoms, I feel like I'd be more pleased with Hokkaido than Yakushima.

Although I am concerned about driving to a certain degree, I will try to limit myself to 4 hours or so of driving each day. I've heard that driving in Hokkaido is not overly taxing either. I also have read that the GPS systems come in English, and work with Phone#'s - which would really be turnkey.

If you guys can have any specific recs for a 6 day drive through Hokkaido that would be suited to early May, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks again!
by testor rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/21 07:24
Driving in Eastern Hokkaido should pose no problem for somebody who is a good driver in his/her home country. Traffic is light, roads are broad, and important traffic signs are bilingual. If you are not used to drive on the left, you need to be just a little bit more concentrated. It does not take long to get used to it. I have never seen English GPS, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread