Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass - Ordinary Or Green Cars 2009/3/20 15:47
I am travelling to Japan for the 1st time and intend to purchase a 7 days JR Pass, travelling from Tokyo to Osaka/ Kyoto.

Is it necessary to buy the Green Cars pass for a more comfortable ride?

I will arrive in Narita early morning (about 8am), can anyone give me exact instructions on how to take the train to Osaka/Kyoto?

Thanks.
by Japan1time (guest)  

... 2009/3/20 17:33
Is it necessary to buy the Green Cars pass for a more comfortable ride?

Many people find ordinary cars comfortable enough. For more comfort, you can buy the green pass.

I will arrive in Narita early morning (about 8am), can anyone give me exact instructions on how to take the train to Osaka/Kyoto?

1) Take the Narita Express from Narita Express to Shinagawa Station
2) Take the hikari shinkansen from Shinagwa to Kyoto/Osaka
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. as comfortable ... 2009/3/20 18:01
I used the green car before in my business trips to Japan years back. They were very comfortable, something like the business class or even the first class in flying. Most of the passengers were businessmen in grey, few holiday makers. Nowadays, I only travel the ordinary cars and they are comfortable as well as so much cheaper when it is on your own account.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/3/20 18:06
Hi all, thanks for the advise. I know I can get the JR pass in Singapore, but do I have to book the seat in advance, as my schedule of travel is not fix yet?

Thanks
by Japan1time (guest) rate this post as useful

seat reservation 2009/3/20 18:34
You must buy the Exchange Order in Singapore ( = outside of Japan, never inside Japan ). The Exchange Order and your passport shown to the JR staff after arrival will exchange it to the JR Rail Pass. At that moment you can make seat reservations. JR East allows you to make seatreservation for the Narita Express ( and shinkansen to the East and North ) online, but this is very risky in case of delay of your flight. Expect to get a seat on the next available Narita Express even some minutes before train departure directly at Narita Airport.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread