Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cherry blossoms in Kyoto. 2009/3/21 09:22
Hi!
We will be in Kyoto from Mar 29 untill Apr 11. I am planning our iteinery, and looking at the cherry blossom forecast on this web site the best time will be from Mar 25 untill Apr 4.
My question is, will all the cherry blossoms be gone by the 4th of April, or will we still get to see some after this date?
Blinky.
by Blinky (guest)  

... 2009/3/21 12:23
It depends on the weather of the coming days. If it will be warm and windy, the cherry blossom season could be over by April 4. But if it is cool and nit windy or rainy, the blossoms could remain longer.

Also, there are a few late-blooming cherry tree varieties, which are not as numerous and celebrated as the "mainstream" somei yoshino cherry blossoms, but are also nice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yoshino 2009/3/21 12:53
Hi Blinky we are in Osaka from April 10 to 18, and family there have advised we should catch some blossoms on Mt Yoshino near Nara. There is a link on this website as to how to get there..might be worth a look?
Cheers
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/21 13:56
Hi Uji!
Thanks.
I understand about the weather, I just hope that it is kind to us.
Iv'e been told that the Japan Meteorological Agency is still forecasting the cherry blossoms to open in Kyoto on Mar 25th. so I'm a little confused about the forecasts. But, as you say, it all depends on the weather.
It's also good to know about the yoshino cherry blossoms in case the weather does bring them on faster.

Thanks again,
Blinky.

by Blinky (guest) rate this post as useful

Just to add 2009/3/21 14:45
Generally it is said that once the blossoms start to open (that's the forecast date) it takes around one week until "full bloom," of course depending on the weather, though. I hope you get to see some nice blossoms somewhere :)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/21 14:59
Iv'e been told that the Japan Meteorological Agency is still forecasting the cherry blossoms to open in Kyoto on Mar 25th

The agency originally forecast it for March 27 when they first published a forecast on March 4. A week later, the date was updated to March 26, and last Wednesday it was updated to March 23. Yet, the blossoms happened to actually open already on March 19.

So much about the accuracy of cherry blossom forecasts... Always enjoy them with caution.

Yoshino. 2009/3/21 15:32
Thanks fmj!

How's Blinky?
It's great to hear that you are going to Japan.
I was wondering about Nara. Maybe mum and I could do a day-trip in the bus to Mt. Yoshino. I don't know how mum will go with mountians though!
My nephew is married to a Japanese girl and living in Osaka, and we will have lunch with them when we arrive. My son is married to a Japanese girl and living on the Gold Coast, so now I have family in Japan as well. We went to Japan last September for the weddings, and had a great time. So I'm sure it will be fun no matter what the weather.

Regards,
Blinky.
by Blinky (guest) rate this post as useful

Cherry trees - which kind - where?! 2009/3/21 15:57
We plan to go to Kyoto from 7th April - too late for the Yoshino trees I guess.
Where in Kyoto are some of the late cherry trees and is this view as nice as with the Yoshino (amount of trees)?
Or would it be better to make a crazy short trip to Kyoto for one day during the begin of April to have at least one day in Kyoto with full bloom?
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/21 16:46
In case you miss the cherry blossoms in Kyoto, you could make a side trip to somewhere nearby where the trees are still in bloom. The higher elevations of Yoshinoyama, for example, will likely still be in bloom:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4152.html

Blinky 2009/3/22 00:02
Blinky is fine thanks Blinky!!!! Drop me an email: ifjames@bigpond.net.au
We are going to try to make Yoshino and Nara in the one day..not sure if its possible, but will see how we feel after Yoshino, as we have already been to Nara last year. My cousin has a son living in Osaka, and we both have a cousin by marriage (Japanese) living in Tokyo so we are spoilt for info.
I really hope you and your Mum enjoy your trip
by fmj rate this post as useful

Other varities of cherry trees 2009/3/22 05:01
"Also, there are a few late-blooming cherry tree varieties, which are not as numerous and celebrated as the "mainstream" somei yoshino cherry blossoms, but are also nice."

We can't really change our schedule and will be in Kyoto from April 6 - 8 and i was wondering where in Kyoto would we be able to see these later-blooming trees? What varieties are they? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
by mb2005 rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/22 07:24
i was wondering where in Kyoto would we be able to see these later-blooming trees?

Ninnaji is famous for its own Omuro variety of cherry blossoms, which bloom a little bit later than the "mainstream" somei yoshino.

There must be other spots to see late blooming varieties, but I don't know where. They usually come in much smaller numbers than somei yoshino. And their leaves usually develop together with the blossoms, which gives the trees a less beautiful look from afar. Some of the most popular varieties are introduced here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_species.html

Concerned 2009/3/22 07:57
I'm a bit concerned too now, i'll get arriving in Kyoto on the 4th and be there until the 11th, so will likely miss the best of them :(
by Dave (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/22 14:45
I think you can probably still catch some around the 4th, unless strong wind or rain takes them down prematurely.

another alternative 2009/3/23 12:54
Japan Mint in Osaka is another alternative, check it out http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/topics/new/page24.html
by mb04 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread