Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Climbing Fuji-san 2009/3/22 06:46
Hi all,

I am planning to climb Ft. Fuji some time in Early July, overnight. I read that a good starting point to climb it is Kawaguchiko.

Do you recommend that we stay at somewhere close the night before so that we can access the 5th station around noon? If yes where is the best location to stay?

Where do you recommend that we stay after we descend?

Also, do you recommend that we make a reservation for the night at one of the mountain huts for mid-climb rest?

Thanks.
by jbx1  

... 2009/3/22 07:47
Do you recommend that we stay at somewhere close the night before so that we can access the 5th station around noon?

It depends where you come from. If you come from Tokyo, it is not necessary to get to Kawaguchi a day earlier. There are direct buses from Tokyo (Shinjuku) to Kawaguchiko 5th Station, which take only about 2.5 hours.

Where do you recommend that we stay after we descend?

Again, it depends on where you are heading afterwards. For example, if you go back to Tokyo, you can easily take the bus back without staying overnight in Kawaguchiko.

Also, do you recommend that we make a reservation for the night at one of the mountain huts for mid-climb rest?

Yes, certainly, and especially if you want to eat something there. I believe that reservations are mandatory.
by Uji rate this post as useful

possbile itinerary 2009/3/22 08:05
Well I will definitely be visiting Tokyo and I am planning to stay at Shinjuku.

So what about:

Day 1: Checking out early from Shinjuku and sending Baggage to Hakone.

Depart for Fuji Kawaguchiko 5th Station. (What time is best to depart?)

Climb overnight.

Day 2: Descend via the Gotemba-guchi track.

Reach Hakone (is there an easy way using public transport?) and find our luggage there, check in and relax in an Onsen.

Does the above make sense?

Regarding the Mountain huts, yes we would probably like to eat something and have a nap. What is the best way to make a reservation?

by jbx1 rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/22 14:54
Depart for Fuji Kawaguchiko 5th Station. (What time is best to depart?)

People who climb overnight, i.e. do not stay at a hut along the way, usually start the climb from the 5th Station around 7pm or even later, which means leaving Shinjuku in the late afternoon.

Reach Hakone (is there an easy way using public transport?)

The bus timetables for this year's climbing season have not been published yet, but it will probably be similar if not identical to last year:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/fuji_season.html

In order to get to Hakone, take the bus from Gotemba 5th Station to Gotemba Station and then the Odakyu bus into Hakone.

Does the above make sense?

Yes, it sounds good to me.

What is the best way to make a reservation?

Reserve what? The ryokan in Hakone? The bus to the 5th Station?

... 2009/3/22 21:14
Thanks Uji,

Sorry I must have not explained myself correctly. Climbing it overnight I meant during the night, but not at one go without resting between the 5th station and 10th station.

It makes more sense to have a small nap and eat something half way through right?

So, if we want to stop mid-way:

what would be the best time to depart from Shinjuku and start our ascent from the 5th Station?

if we need a reservation for one of the mountain huts half way through (8th station?), what is the way to place a reservation?

Thanks again.

Matter of preferences 2009/3/22 21:32
It's not a matter of what makes more sense, just what you prefer. I climbed Fuji twice straight through the night starting at around 8. As a light sleeper there is no way I would have been able to sleep in those crowded rooms with people coming in and out, and we were able to eat at the rest areas- altitude makes you lose your appetite anyway so I didn't want to eat more than a couple of chocolate bars.

Also we were able to stay ahead of the crowds who all leave the 8th station huts at the same time and cause huge traffic jams where you are unable to move for 5 minutes at a time. Friends who stayed at the huts were very disappointed by not reaching the summit before sunrise- there were so many people coming out of the huts at the same time that they got totally stuck and eventually reached the summit after sunrise.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/23 21:38
what would be the best time to depart from Shinjuku and start our ascent from the 5th Station?

Around 10am. Earlier if you are a slow mountain climber.

if we need a reservation for one of the mountain huts half way through (8th station?), what is the way to place a reservation?

By phone. Here is a list of huts and phone numbers:
http://live-fuji.jp/fuji/scott/huts.html

climb straight or stop at hut 2009/3/24 07:32
Well, we are not trained climbers or anything, just amateur hikers. If it is hard and we can avoid altitude sickness by stopping for an hour or so I guess it would be safer.

We are planning to climb on 6th July. Do you think it will be already crowded? If yes, when should we depart from say a station 8 hut to avoid being late for sunrise?

Leaving 2009/3/24 08:20
Thousands of people climb every night of the season, so yes, it will be crowded already. Try to leave before 3am, or just keep an eye out and if a lot of people seem to be leaving, take that as your cue and try to stay ahead of them.

Actual altitude sickness is unlikely at that height, but you will feel the altitude in the form of shortness of breath and maybe headaches.

... 2009/3/25 20:12
Do you think it will be already crowded?

Relatively speaking, weekdays in early July are not so crowded. In absolute terms, however, you can expect quite a large number of other climbers.

If yes, when should we depart from say a station 8 hut to avoid being late for sunrise?

It depends on your pace. If you are quick, a 3am departure is early enough, but if you are not so quick and tired, I recommend to leave around 1 to 2am.

Helpful information 2009/3/26 01:15
This was very helpful for me, as I will be climbing on July 7. I am not an experieced climber by any definition, but I am fit and walk quite a bit. I will be coming from Kofu and climbing via the Kawaguchiko Trail. I will be climbing solo and initially planned to stay at a hut. But, I really just want to take my time and actually climb in the evening and avoid staying at a hut completely. Is this reasonable:

Get a good amount of sleep while in Kofu and make my way over to Kawaguchiko 5th Station to start climbing at 9 in the evening. Take very short rests at each station and then continue, reaching the summit by 4AM.

Is there any form of light while climbing in the evening, or will I be using my flashlight the whole climb?

THANKS!!
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/26 07:19
Get a good amount of sleep while in Kofu and make my way over to Kawaguchiko 5th Station to start climbing at 9 in the evening. Take very short rests at each station and then continue, reaching the summit by 4AM.

That is how many people are doing it. Depending on how fast you climb, you might be at the summit way too early (unlikely), just in time for sunrise or not able to make it in time. But sunset is nice from the Kawaguchiko side even if you do not completely make it to the summit.

Is there any form of light while climbing in the evening, or will I be using my flashlight the whole climb?

It is recommended to use a flashlight. The ones that can be put on your head are particularly convenient, because you do not have to carry it in your hand all the time. The people around you will also have flashlights, making the train quite bright.

flashlight needed 2009/3/26 10:52
I second Uji's recommendation for a head flashlight- you will definitely need one most of the time, the trail is not lit at all, and you sometimes need your hands free for a bit of rock scrambling.

Check the sunrise time for when you are going (it is very early in eastern Japan in July) and time your departure/walk accordingly.

also planning to climb on 7th July 2009/3/28 11:01
Hey Aurora,

We are also planning to climb on 7th July and arrive at the summit on the 8th July coincidently.

Japan Air Pass 2009/3/28 11:26
How do you get the Japan Air Pass? Does it work similar to the rail pass? How do you make an online reservation with companies like JAL and benefit from it?

thanks.

... 2009/3/28 14:24
You get the air pass through the airline or travel agent before leaving Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

Thank you all! 2009/3/31 00:45
Thanks Uji and Sira. I will start my clib earlier - between 6pm and 7pm. I prefer to reach the summit too early rather than too late. And the head light never occurred to me. I will pick one up before I leave.

jbx1, I somehow assumed that you were climbing on July 5th. I saw early July and 5th station and put them together. Maybe I will see you there.

yes 2009/3/31 14:25
Be wary of reaching the summit too early. We managed to get there just 1.5 hours early after starting our climb from the 10th station where we slept for a couple hours. You will get really cold on the top, as it will most certainly be cold and windy in July!

I think 6 is too early if you are younger and relatively in shape. I never climbed a mountain before. We summitted in 5 hours 20 mins, walked around looking for a hut on the top at 8 PM(like idiots), climbed back down to the 10th station, begged the owners to let us stay, got 2 hours of sleep, and then climbed back up the mountain.

Unless you are really slow and take frequent, extended breaks, 10 hours is a bit too long, in my honest opinion. It was miserable staking out a good sunrise spot for almost two hours while we froze! We climbed in June as well!

Hope this helps
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

time taken 2009/3/31 14:46
Even my not-terribly-fit self only took about 6.5 hours to climb, and we made a point of stopping often for acclimatisation. The temp at the top is usually around zero deg C, plus wind chill, so arriving too early is not fun, I agree.

Okay 2009/4/1 00:59
Thanks Michael & Sira. So, my initial plan of starting at 9pm wasn't too far off. Even with breaks to rest and get accustomed to the altitude change, the climb in total (being fit, etc.) shouldn't take me more than 7 hours. Sunrise will be around 3:30am, so climbing straight up from the 5th station between 8:30pm and 9pm isn't a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread