Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

help with trains 2009/3/22 08:30
Hi There.

Myself and my partner will be arriving at Osaka airport on 10th July 2009. Our flight arrives at 5pm. We then need to get to Osaka.... I have heard it can take some time to get through customs.

When we arrive at Osaka train station we will catch a train to Kyoto - do we need to book a ticket in advance? I am very confused ... I have read in some places you need to reserve a seat.

At the end of our trip we also need to travel from Tokyo to Osaka - this is a pain due to Emirates changing our flights (we were supposed to fly home from Nagoya) This is going to be a significant extra cost - again, can we book in advance to save money ?

We have a 7 day rail pass for our stay - BUT we wont activate this until after our 4 days in Kyoto and it will have run out once we need to get back to Osaka from Tokyo.

Its all a bit of a mess - sorry to go on ... but im very worried about getting to Japan for the first time and being stranded at Osaka as we are both 1st time visitors and find all the guide books dont explain the train systems very well.

Thank you in advance -and sorry for the ramble. L x
by lucye  

... 2009/3/22 15:09
When we arrive at Osaka train station we will catch a train to Kyoto - do we need to book a ticket in advance?

No. You should buy the ticket at the airport after you arrive there. The direct train has unreserved and reserved seats. Seat reservations can be made just before boarding the train.

At the end of our trip we also need to travel from Tokyo to Osaka - this is a pain due to Emirates changing our flights (we were supposed to fly home from Nagoya) This is going to be a significant extra cost - again, can we book in advance to save money?

Here are your options of transportation from Osaka to Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

relax--trains are easy 2009/3/25 10:00
Relax! You do not need to buy a ticket in advance. I never get the reserve seats either because I can always find an empty seat on the regular cars. In the big stations like Kyoto and Osaka they have information centers for foreign travelers. There is someone there who speaks English to help you. Also, many automated ticket machines have English too.

I went through immigration at Osaka airport twice in the last 20 years and do not remember it taking very long. The last couple of times I went through Narita at Tokyo and it took less than an hour.
by Eldo in the Weeds rate this post as useful

reply to this thread