Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling alone. Tips? 2009/3/22 18:26
I'm a female and traveling alone for the first time for 2 weeks in April.
I've been to Japan once with a friend. This will be my second trip. I will be staying around bigger cities like toyko and osaka. But I will visit smaller places like Kanazawa. But my friend are worried about my safety.
I'm asain, so I will blend in the crowd. But my japanese is limited.

I would like to ask a few questions:
1) I heard japanese has perverts on the public transport, called Chikan. Does this happen a lot?
What time should I avoid catching the train? Someone said to avoid peak time, but what time is peak time?

2) I will be traveling with a big luggage and using the JR pass. if I reserve a seat for my long distance trips (get a seat in the front to put my luggage infront of me or either at the back). Can I request to be seated with a female? I don't think they would be able to check, only to see what seat is taken.
Also, if I need to go to the rest room, would it be okay if I leave my luggage at the seat or should I take it with me?

3) Any safety tips at night or day?

4) It will be spring when I'm in Japan. A friend told me not to wear a skirt because of the Chikan on the trains. But do you think it will matter? From the pictures I've seen of some Japanese girls around Tokyo, who wears mini skirts. I don't think it will matter. What do you suggest?
I don't wear short skirts. It will be knee length.

Thank you!
by Susan11 (guest)  

Don't worry about this so much 2009/3/22 20:34
You are worrying too much about this issue. I am female and have lived in Japan for 11 years, and have yet to be molested by a chikan- they target Japanese women more because they are more intimidated by foreign women, but it is not exactly something that happens to Japanese women on a daily basis.

Wear a skirt if you like- you will see lots other people wearing them. If the skirt is so short it almost resembles a belt you increase your chances of being targeted somewhat- be sensible with the length.

No, you cannot request to be seated next to a woman on the trains, and also you should not come here with the idea that all Japanese men are potential perverts- the chikan are a tiny and hated minority here so please don't judge all Japanese men based on the actions of a few. This is one of the safest countries, if not the safest country, in the world for solo women travellers.

If I go to the toilet when on a train with luggage I take my small bag containing my wallet but leave my large luggage behind- the chances of it being stolen are almost zero.

Peak times are the morning and evening rush hours, same as in other countries, and also the last train of the evening (sometime around midnight depending on the line). Some lines have women only cars at rush hours, which you might want to use if you are very worried. Really though the chances that a chikan will target you are so tiny as to be almost non-existent- please try to enjoy your trip without worrying about something that has been over-emphasised by the media in other countries. There won't be a chikan around every corner waiting for you!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Too many worries 2009/3/22 20:36

1) I heard japanese has perverts on the public transport, called Chikan. Does this happen a lot?

I understand that it can be an issue on very crowded trains. Some trains have women only cars for rush hours.

What time should I avoid catching the train? Someone said to avoid peak time, but what time is peak time?

Generally 7-9 and 4-7 but things can get busy around 11pm when the afternoon shift goes home.

2) I will be traveling with a big luggage and using the JR pass. if I reserve a seat for my long distance trips (get a seat in the front to put my luggage infront of me or either at the back). Can I request to be seated with a female?

Highly unlikely. You will not have a safety issue on a long distance train anyway.

Also, if I need to go to the rest room, would it be okay if I leave my luggage at the seat or should I take it with me?

If you cannot fit or get your luggage on to the overhead rack try to leave it behind the last seat in the car. You should advise the conductor that it is yours. There are some concerns about unattended items in Japan although not as paranoid as in other countries. Your luggage will be safe no matter where you leave it. Naturally keep your valuables and passport with you at all times.

3) Any safety tips at night or day?

Apply a good dose of common sense. Japan is very safe but don't tempt fate by wandering in to dark and lonely places at night.

4) It will be spring when I'm in Japan. A friend told me not to wear a skirt because of the Chikan on the trains. But do you think it will matter? From the pictures I've seen of some Japanese girls around Tokyo, who wears mini skirts. I don't think it will matter. What do you suggest?
I don't wear short skirts. It will be knee length.

Shouldn't be a problem.

One last piece of advice. Try to travel with smaller luggage. It will make your life much easier when moving about. And absolutely avoid rush hour trains with a suitcase/ big bag.
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/22 20:41
1) I would not worry about it. There may be simply unpleasantly close encounters on packed trains (nothing intentional, but you might simply get
pressed against others on crowded trains), so if you want to avoid that, avoid trains going INTO Tokyo, say between 7:30 to a bit past 8 or so, but this really depends on what part of Tokyo you stay in. 4) I would not worry about it. I think you'll be fine just wearing what you feel comfortable in.

2) You cannot request to be seated with a female unfortunately. If you want to request the last row in a car so that you can put your luggage behind it, you can surely request for that.

When leaving your seat, be sure to take your handbag with valuables in it (or any other small bag that looks like it might contain valuables). If I
was traveling with a handbag/shoulder bag, a small back-pack, and a suitcase, I would surely take my handbag, and might also take the back-pack with me when I need to be away from my seat.

3) Any common sense in big cities I'd say :) Since you are going to be moving around in cities you probably are not familiar with, get hold of some
maps to get some orientation, for example, if you arrive in a new city and check into a hotel.

Plan well, but don't worry too much, and enjoy your trip!
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread