Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

travelling alone 2009/3/23 12:25
i am a 17 year old girl and i was wondering if it is safe for me to travel by myself to japan. I want to go at the end of the year and if i do go halfway through my trip ill turn 18 so i was just wondering what your thoughts were on the matter? thankyou :)
by tjbonbon  

depends 2009/3/24 03:12
well i travelled to japan by myself and it was fine but i was 23 at the time. its a relatively safe country but you still have to be mature and responsible no matter what your age.
by hopuchan rate this post as useful

It depends 2009/3/24 11:06
Where will you be traveling in Japan?
by Alexander Parras rate this post as useful

Japan is safety country 2009/3/24 22:04
My son 20 years old travelled there alone for almost two weeks and it was no any problem.
by Wanda (guest) rate this post as useful

Relatively Safe 2009/3/24 22:15
Japan is a relatively safe country... but that said, it's always a little harder to get by as a young girl on your own than an older person or a man. You may attract a great deal of unwanted attention, creepy stares and even stalkers. While Japan is a -relatively- safe country, crime isn't unheard of.

I have had relatively few problems, but even so have been stalked twice and have gotten into more than my share of scary/creepy situations either alone or with friends.

A lot of your safety depends on decisions you make.

- Avoid walking around or riding trains very early or late.
- Don't wander in isolated neighborhoods you aren't familiar with.
- Don't sit in empty trains or in trains with only one or two men.
- Avoid people who are obviously drunk or obnoxious.
- Rent a cellphone and be sure to know all relevant emergency numbers.
- Always have a place to sleep lined up, a map of how to get there and, if possible, get there before the drunks come out.
- Learn basic Japanese phrases to ask directions and to ask for help. If you're lost, you want to get unlost quickly.
- Don't hitchhike, accept rides from strangers, or follow strangers (however friendly) into areas where there are no other people.
- Don't get drunk and go home with random guys.
by tsurara rate this post as useful

in response to your answers 2009/3/26 17:33
i will be travelling from tokyo- kyoto- nikko then to tokyo thankyou for all your answeers i know japan is a safe country so im not that worried
by tjbonbon rate this post as useful

Not crime free though!! 2009/3/26 18:31
Be careful.

This is a relatively safe place but that doesn't mean things don't happen. I have a friend who got chased around by a drunk old man (about 60). He came up to her and tried to grab her asking her how much. She ran and he chased her around and kept asking aloud, ''How much?'' It was at night and no one was around but she was on her way home. She had to hide at the 24hr store until the drunk dude went away.

Also, there are creeps prey on drunk girls (molest them on the train when she's asleep). Take drunk girls home and stuff.

Not trying to scare you but just remember esp. since you're 17...It's relatively safe but it's not crime free here.

by oski (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread