Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Like Okinawa on Mainland 2009/3/23 13:47
Hi there,
We love going to Okinawa but now with a baby we're wanting to find a location where we can get to by shinkansen (bullet train) or ferry (less than a day's travel) on the mainland.

We're looking for crystal blue waters (swimmable) and nice beaches similar to the islands of Okinawa.

Thank you!
by beach (guest)  

Kagoshima 2009/3/24 01:06
You might try Kagoshima. It looks as though it may have a few beaches, especially on the western coast north of Minamisatsuma.. Check out Google Earth and these websites:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4600.html

http://www.synapse.ne.jp/~update/
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Shirahama 2009/3/24 02:47
If you're looking for beach in Honshu, consider Shirarahama Beach in Shirahama which is about 2 to 3 hrs. JR south of Osaka.

http://www.nanki-shirahama.com/
by William5 rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/3/24 07:21
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. We greatly appreciate it!
by beach (guest) rate this post as useful

Okinawa it may be... 2009/3/25 08:25
So now we cannot go until November so I guess my original plan of staying on the mainland will not be possible as I presume it will be too cold to go in the ocean.

I think we will attempt Okinawa.
Have any of you been to Kume jima, Zamami jima, Tokashiki jima off Okinawa hondo? Info on these islands is quite limited so was wondering which might have the nicer beaches, calm water to snorkel.

Thanks again.

where are you? 2009/3/25 08:50
Pls check out Izu Islands or Ogasawara Islands if you are in Kanto region. The islands are just like Okinawa but less developed, with beaches and sub tropical forests.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

where am I? 2009/3/25 09:57
I'm in Canada.
I'm trying to do two vacations in one...visiting family in Tokyo but trying to squeeze in a beach vacation at the same time.

Izu and Ogasawara 2009/3/25 19:33
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

ogasawara 2009/3/26 02:18
Thank you Ts but it would not be possible to go in the ocean in November?

Tokashiki 2009/3/26 03:32
I've been to Tokashiki, most recently last October. The water was warm, great for snorkeling, lots of fish, and clear water. The beach we went to was Aharen Beach.I have been to this island twice and am in love with it.
Here is the website from the village of Tokashiki (basically the entire island).

http://www.vill.tokashiki.okinawa.jp/en/lets_go/ett.htm

I would also suggest logging on to Google Earth or Google Maps and checking out the Panaramio photos of Tokashiki and the surrounding islands.

Photos 2009/3/26 03:48
If you would like to see a ton of photos of Tokashiki shima, go to this link: http://picasa.google.com/ and type tokashiki in the search photos space. You'll find several thousand photos in there.

Tokashiki 2009/3/27 14:02
Thank you so much Paul for the info. I had a look at some of the photos...wow the island is breath taking.

What time of the year did you go? Would it be possible to swim in November...keep in mind I am a Canadian quite used to the cold..hahaha.

Is there a season where there are jelly fish to watch out for or any other hazardous marine animals?

Did you stay there overnight or day trips? Would you be able to recommend a place to stay...with a 1 year old?

sorry 2009/3/27 14:03
sorry for asking so many questions..and thanks in advance!

Tokashiki 2009/3/27 22:01
What time of the year did you go? We went in January the first time and October the second time. We did not snorkel or swim the first time as the air temperature was quite cool(for Okinawa). We are also from Georgia and have lived in mild climates for the last 18 years so I tend to get cold easily. However, the October snorkeling was fantastic! Air temperature was mid 80's (F) as was the water temperature.

Would it be possible to swim in November...keep in mind I am a Canadian quite used to the cold..hahaha.
I don't see why not. You might want to wear a wetsuit. I used one while diving there last October.

Is there a season where there are jelly fish to watch out for or any other hazardous marine animals?
Box jellies are usually only there in the very hot summer months. Other dangerous animals around the islands can be found on this webpage:

http://www.virtualginza.com/okinawa.htm?japan3.htm

Scroll down the left sidebar to Harmful Marine Animals. We did see banded sea snakes on the main island, but they usually leave swimmers alone. If you see one, and it is headed straight up towards you, move to the side as they are most likely going to the surface to breath. Watch out for lionfish, sea urchins (didn't see any on Tokashiki), and the ones listed in the link above.

Did you stay there overnight or day trips?
We only did day trips.
Would you be able to recommend a place to stay...with a 1 year old?
I would suggest Hotel Sunflower. The manager of this hotel was kind enough to come over to the port (Tokashiki) and pick us up the first time there when we missed all the buses at the port. He speaks a little English. The website is in Japanese: http://www.hotel-sunflower.com/ However, if you have a Google toolbar, it has a translation feature that will help (somewhat). Or you can use Yahoo Babelfish: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

A nice place to eat is the cafe behind the Chip-Chip Marine stand near the entrance to the beach. The owner speaks some English. The tonkatsu was delicious (pork cutlets).

My plans 2009/3/30 04:34
Thanks so much Paul! My vacation planning is coming together now with the help of yourself and everyone else here who has kindly answered my questions.

On our last trip we booked ourselves for 4 nights on Taketomi jima thinking we would have a quiet lazing on the beach vacation but we found the island to be too quiet for 4 days and ended up back on Ishigaki after 2 nights. I have a feeling from the website and all that again Tokashiki might be good for 1 or 2 nights and perhaps we keep the majority of our stay on the Okinawa mainland.
Would love to go to Miyako jima or Ishigaki but I think the flight will be too long for our baby. We'll save that for our next visit.

Do any of you have any suggestions on an area on the Okinawa mainland that has has the best beach for swimming and resorts right on the beach?

It's one thing to research online but hearing first hand information is invaluable.

Thanks again!

typhoon 2009/4/17 13:32
Typically are you in the clear for typhoons in Okinawa if you're going in mid October or later? Thinking of Ishigaki-jima.

Thanks!

Sorry 2009/4/18 00:02
Sorry I took so long responding. I must have missed your post.

In regards to your first question, Do any of you have any suggestions on an area on the Okinawa mainland that has has the best beach for swimming and resorts right on the beach?

We didn't spend much time on beaches on Okinawa proper. There are a number of resorts with beaches off of Highway 58 in Onna-son, which is between Kadena and Nago. There is also a beach near the Churaumi Aquarium near Nago. Closer to Naha, there are beaches near the convention center and the Tomari Port (where you leave for Tokashiki).

If you are more adventuresome, you may want to try some of the beaches on the west side of the island along Highway 58 between Nago and Cape Hedo. Just remembered, JAL has a very nice resort at Okuma which has a very nice beach. It's located about halfway between Nago and Cape Hedo.

On the Pacific coast, there are a number of secluded beautiful beaches, but beware of changing weather conditions and riptides. One of the beaches was at the village of Ada and another was near Cape Teniya. There are also several beautiful beaches between Ada and Cape Hedo. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones we visited.

Typically are you in the clear for typhoons in Okinawa if you're going in mid October or later? Thinking of Ishigaki-jima.

Last year there were none that late in the year. Two years ago (2007), the Naha Tug-of-War was postponed due to a typhoon around the 12th of October. I would say in general, the later your go, the lesser the chance of encountering a typhoon. But there is really no way of predicting if one is going to hit, even if one appears to be heading straight for you!!

typhoon 2009/4/18 02:22
Thanks Paul. We will try to avoid the typhoon. Do you know if typhoons in Okinawa are similar to those in the carribean where unless it is a big one...you basically get a rain storm for a few hours a day and the sky clears up and you're back to sunshine? If that's the case,we would just need to keep cover until the rain passes. Or do pigs and cows go flying?

... 2009/4/18 03:21
Unless they get a direct hit, just stay in your room until it passes. My son and daughter-in-law have been through a number of them and had few problems. They were on the air base at Kadena and their housing was a concrete building. They had one a few years ago where the eye passed directly over Kadena. He sent me a video of what it looked like. Pretty nasty. However, that's the only time pigs and cows fly.

Before you head over, check out this website: http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC and you should be able to tell if a typhoon is headed that way.

.. 2009/4/18 16:31
That's awesome thank you Paul.

reply to this thread