Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving from Shinyokohama to Kawaguchiko 2009/3/28 23:15
Hi i intend to drive from shinyokohama station to kawaguchiko. Can someone let me know is there any toll charges? What is the best route to take?
by Johnson (guest)  

... 2009/3/29 11:06
Can someone let me know is there any toll charges?

You can get there by non-toll roads, but it is just going to take considerable longer than taking expressways.

What is the best route to take?

Tomei Expressway (toll required) or Route 246 (toll free) to Gotemba and then Route 138 to Kawaguchiko.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.... 2009/3/29 12:24
Thanks for the reply. Can you advise on the cost for Tomei Expressway? How long the drive takes?

by Johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/29 13:55
Hi, is it possible to pick up a car at mishima instead of shin yokohama and drive up to kawaguchiko to avoid toll charges? We have three person and we have japan rail pass. We like to drive around mt fuji area if possible.

... 2009/3/29 15:18
Can you advise on the cost for Tomei Expressway? How long the drive takes?

About 2100 yen one way. The entire drive takes about 2 hours.

Hi, is it possible to pick up a car at mishima instead of shin yokohama and drive up to kawaguchiko to avoid toll charges?

Yes, that was actually my other thought. Not to save on tolls, necessarily, but because the drive from Mishima to Kawaguchiko is faster and easier than from Yokohama. And you can do it on toll-free roads.

But if you have a Japan Rail Pass, I would actually recommend to take trains all the way to Gotemba Station and rent a car from there. It's cheaper and even easier to drive from there.

.... 2009/3/30 10:34
Thanks Uji. I will drive from mishima as I do not need to transfer train to gotemba from kyoto. If there is no toll charges from mishima to kawaguchiko, I do not mind a longer drive as this will save us some effort transferring our luggages across train.

.... 2009/3/31 19:52
Hi Uji,
I had planned my route from mishima station to Kawaguchiko using http://www.navitime.co.jp.

I will take the route 22, follow by route 394, route 246 then route 138. Can you advise is this route is ok? Is there any toll charges along this route?

... 2009/4/1 11:13
I will take the route 22, follow by route 394, route 246 then route 138. Can you advise is this route is ok?

Yes. Navitime generally produces reliable results.

Is there any toll charges along this route?

No, although you have the choice of a toll road between Subashiri and Kawaguchiko. Make sure not to get onto the toll road by mistake. There should be English signs.

.. 2009/4/27 23:26
Hi Uji, just came back from the trip. There is no toll road and as you mentioned gotemba is better place to start the drive as it can avoid the traffic jam in Mishima. Should had pick up the car from gotemba. Regardless, its a great drive. Thanks for the info.

reply to this thread