Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drving in Hokkaido 2009/4/5 18:25
My family of five is planning to drive in Hokkaido in early June. The following is our itinerary

Day 1 & 2
Narita -Haneda - Chitose (2 nights)
Visit Mt hakodate, Morning Mkt, Goryokaku, Motomachi.
Pick up rental car at Hakodate airport on Day2.

Day 3
Hakodate- Onuma Quasi-National Pk - Lake Toya (1 night)
Visit Onuma and Mt Uzu

Day 4
Lake Toya - Noboribetsu (1 night)
Visit Sobetsu fruit farms, Hell Velley, Bear farm

Day 5 & 6
Noboribetsu - Furano (2 nights)
Visit Biei, Farm Tomita, Sounkyo Gorge, Fox Village.

Day 7 & 8
Furano - Sapporo (2 nights)
Return rental car. Take trains & bus from now onwards.
Visit Mt Moiwa, Ishiya chocolate factory etc

Day 9
Sapporo - Otaru (1 night)

Day 10
Otaru - Chitose airport hotel (1 night)

Day 11
Early flight from Chitose

My qns are

1. Is it necessary to collect car on Day 2 in Hakodate? Is it easy to move around Hakodate by local transport? My main reason is to familiarize myself with driving in Hokkaido before moving out.

2.From Noboribetsu to Furano, I m trying to research using northern-road.jp/navi/eng website, the route suggested eastward via Tomakomai, Chitose, Sapporo. Is it a scenic drive? There was a suggested scenic way via Niseko, Kutchan, Sapporo but is longer, is it worthwhile doing it? Also thinking of visit Mt Yotei.

3. How to figure out the toll fee ,resting area etc from the northern-road website?

4. Are we able to do Biei, Furano, Sounkyo in 2days? We will based in Furano for 2 nights and travel out.

5. Is it worthwhile to buy 3 days hokkaido pass to travel in and between Sapporo, Otaru?

Any comments on the feasibility of the itinerary? Thanks.

slow driver
by slow driver (guest)  

... 2009/4/5 21:00
I recommend to fly into Hakodate Airport instead of Shin-Chitose. It saves you lots of time!

Also note that Sounkyo and the Fox Village are quite far away from Furano. Therefore, I recommend to spend one night in Furano and Sounkyo each instead of spending both nights in Furano.

Is it worthwhile to buy 3 days hokkaido pass to travel in and between Sapporo, Otaru?

No, certainly not!

Otherwise, it looks doable and quite pleasant to me.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Driving in Hokkaido 2009/4/6 09:55
Thanks Uji for your reply.
Yes, We are flying into Hakodate, is a typo error, sorry.
Regarding qn1 , is it easy to travel within Hakodate? Since I m staying there 3D2N, I m wondering whether to collect the car on Day2 or 3? We will pickup the car in Hakodate and return either in Otaru or Sapporo.

On the Norther-road.jp website, although entered into the english page, once I keyed in the planned start & end point, subsequent returned pages are in Jap. I noticed there are some rows at the bottom in Jap, wondered whether those are the indication for no. of tollin the route, rest area etc. Anybody can help?

Thanks
by slow driver (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/7 07:36
is it easy to travel within Hakodate?

Yes, the trams, buses and the ropeway get you relatively easily around, but a car is nice, too. For example, you can easily drive up to Mount Hakodate with your car.

On the Norther-road.jp website, although entered into the english page, once I keyed in the planned start & end point, subsequent returned pages are in Jap

No, the toll fees are not given by the website. You would have to use a different website, for example:
http://www.driveplaza.com/travel/area/hokkaido/

By the way, you better don't use the abbreviation "Jap" in an international forum. It is considered an offending term by many.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Driving in Hokkaido 2009/4/7 15:34
Uji, thanks for the info and
sorry abt the abbrev.
by slow driver (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread