Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tokyo tower 2009/4/5 19:45
How do i get to Tokyo tower from Shinjuku? Can I use the Metro subway pass? Besides Zozoji temple, any other nearby attractions in Tokyo tower? Just wondering whether I should make the trip to Tokyo Tower since the Metropolitan Government Building is very near my hotel in Shinjuku and its free. View-wise which is better?
by LLC (guest)  

Toei Oedo line 2009/4/5 22:14
You can take the Toei Oedo line from Shinjuku to Daimon.(about a 15 minute trip) Zozoji Temple is about a 5 minute walk up the street, and Tokyo Tower another 10 minutes from there. Never been on top of the govnerment building so can't compare the two. But if you plan a trip to Tokyo Tower I would say to go at night. Very beautiful views at night. Shiba Park is near and this time of year is good for Sakura viewing.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/5 23:55
The Oedo Line isn't Tokyo Metro tough, its Toei Subway.

If you must take Tokyo Metro only, then from Tokyo Metro Shinjuku Station, take the Marunouchi Subway Line to Kasumigaseki Station, at Kasumigaseki Station change to the Hibiya Subway Line.

Finally get off at kamiyacho station, Tokyo Tower is about .5 km away.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/5 23:56
Tokyo Tower costs money, the TMG is free and close. So my vote is for the TMG, though Tokyo tower is nice to look at.

Tocho all the way 2009/4/6 00:31
You can save a bunch of yen and time by going to the government building. Not only is it free, but much less crowded-probably due to larger size, and maybe not quite the novelty of Tokyo tower. I like the view from both--From Tocho, you can see Shinjuku up close, Tokyo Tower from afar, and the surroundings. From Tokyo Tower, you can see Odaiba on one side and the skyline of Shinjuku, Roppongi hills, etc. on the other. If you want to go to the tower, you could also take the Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho station and walk from there (maybe about 15 minute walk)
by ! (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo Tower 2009/4/7 03:37
Hello LLC,

There are alternatives to Tokyo Tower to view Tokyo but, I still recommend your seeing/touching Tokyo Tower and viewing Tokyo from the viewing platform. When you watch news, travel video, movies, etc. of Tokyo, you'll see Tokyo Tower in most. This will give you a somewhat sentimental nostalgic feeling.

Identify the top 1 or 2 tourist attractions in all Cities you plan to visit and make an effort to visit them. It's the same as going to Paris and not going to the Eiffel Tower. I think Tokyo Tower is the star attraction with the city view thrown in as an additional attraction. You should also consider going to the Metro Gov Bldg since it's close to your hotel.

Besides, you also get to see more of Tokyo with this excursion. I consider the time/cost of these excursions as inexpensive when compared to the benefits.

Have a wonderful trip!
Harold
by Harold (guest) rate this post as useful

Take pictures with Tokyo tower 2009/4/15 17:35
Hi, I'm not so keen to go on top of the tower, but rather, prefer to take nice pictures with the tower behind as background. Where can I see the best view of the tower?
by CT (guest) rate this post as useful

Photos 2009/4/15 22:57
I've taken some nice pictures from below the tower looking up, as well as reflections of it in the surrounding building's windows.

I've also have some nice ones taken from near the Imperial Palace using both a normal and 450 mm zoom lens.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Recommend to go 2009/4/15 23:36
I agree, not going to Tokyo Tower would be like not seeing the Eiffel tower in Paris. It's not that pricey. I went all the way to the highest platform and it was worth it, no question. I went towards the end of my stay in Tokyo, so I could see all the places I've visited. I've actually been to Eiffel too, so it's cool to brag that I've been to both.

I'd also recommend Mori tower. You can go outside on the roof! It's wild!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/15 23:49
I agree, not going to Tokyo Tower would be like not seeing the Eiffel tower in Paris.

There's quite a difference in actually going to see it up close and going in it. I know many people who have seen Tokyo Tower up close (including myself) but never fork out the money to go in it.

Tokyo Tower is OK, comined with mabe a visit to nearby Zojoji temple, otherwise, if you want free, the TMG and other buildings provide free sights as well.

See The Prince Hotel as a vantage point 2009/4/23 14:34
We stayed here in October. The hotel driveway gives great unobstructed views of Tokyo Tower.
by Tembo rate this post as useful

Mori Tower - Roppongi 2009/4/23 20:42
My girlfriend and I took the trip to the top of the Mori Tower in Roppongi Hills - its not free but the 360 degree views are pretty amazing
by Murray42 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread