Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get to Iga-Ueno? 2009/4/6 02:21
Hi,

I'm interested in going to the Iga-Ueno ninja museum when I'm in Japan and looked at http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4353.html for directions to get there.

I also looked at Hyperdia by typing in Kyoto to Ueno-shi (which is where the museum actually is located).

The directions from Hyperdia was different and much simpler than the one in Japan-Guide.

Can anyone confirm that the Hyperdia route is correct as this is the one I'm thinking of taking.

Thanks.
by Staffy  

... 2009/4/6 07:37
Please explain how they are different. It is possible that you made a mistake using Hyperdia, e.g. entering Ueno instead of Uenoshi.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/6 08:51
I've tried HYPERDIA.
There are several routes from Kyoto to Iga-ueno. But I suppose the most rational route is the route via Kizu, still. Kusatsu line is not convenient.
And, you need to change trains at least two times still, whatever route you choose.
Enjoy the scenery of deep valley.
by yamazakura (guest) rate this post as useful

simpler 2009/4/6 09:09
Kyoto - Yamatoyagi - Igakanbe - Uenoshi

It costs more money(1700) and takes longer times(3 hours) to get to, though.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

The simplest route is.... 2009/4/6 09:46
At Kizu station this tiny train is waiting your arrival, at same platform. I think that is kindly, and the simplest.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/JR_W...

Sorry it is Kamo station 2009/4/6 10:14
The tiny train that is waiting your arrival at same platform is not at Kizu station but at Kamo station.

. 2009/4/7 05:59
Thanks all for your help. Should I therefore use the route suggested by Japan-Guide rather than Hyperdia (because the Kusatsu line is not convenient)?

Thanks yamazakura for the picture of the train at Kamo. So, this train to Iga-Ueno is on the same platform as the train from Kizu to Kamo? So basically I would get off the first train and on to the next which will be in front of it?

Uji, I typed in KYOTO and UENOSHI in my search condition in Hyperdia. The route suggested is different to the one offered by Japan-Guide. Now that I've looked closer its not necessarily easier as I originally thought since it involves the same number of changes - oops!
by Staffy rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/7 07:01
I was confused by your comment that the other route was much simpler than the one via Kizu. Doesn't it involve just as many transfers? So I suspected you made the "popular" mistake of confusing the Uenos, which would explain the simplicity of the result.

But in any case, there might be some times of the day when the Kusatsu Line approach is just as quick or quicker than the Kizu approach. In that case, I see no reason why not to take the Kusatsu Line approach. But usually, the route via Kizu is fastest. And despite the many transfers, it is quite easy.

My experience and JR said 2009/4/7 19:03
This is my recollection of a trip of last year.

I rode a train from Kizu to Kamo. It was same type of train which runs near Osaka, running by electric power.
The train arrived at the left side of a platform of Kamo station. I got off the train and walked 10 steps on the platform. A tiny train which runs by diesel was waiting for us on the right side of platform.
(The Kansai line is the one rail road through the area. But the section from Kamo to Kameyama is not electrified yet. So we need to change a train. We have same experience at some local line of JR West. )
So, I had said this is the most convenience route.

Butc. Ifve found important information on the webpage of JR West.
Trains will NOT be operated at 11th April and 9th May for maintenance from Kamo to Kameyama.
http://www.westjr.co.jp/hosyu/detail.php?l=kansai
(Sorry, in Japanese)
by yamazakura, a traveler at cheap budget (guest) rate this post as useful

Via Kizu it is! 2009/4/8 05:10
Thanks for that, Uji. I'll go via Kizu :-)

Yamazakura, thanks for giving me more information about what to expect and warning about the engineering works. Fortunately it won't affect me as I won't be in Japan until the second half of May. Its a good job you spotted my post :-). Just one more thing, did you actually go to Ueno-Shi? As I'll be using a JR Pass will I have to purchase a ticket first from a ticket office before I get on the train from Iga-Ueno to Ueno-Shi or can I pay on the train (since its not a JR train)?

ticket 2009/4/8 23:55
The section of the Kansai line belongs to JR West. But some electronic pass like ICOCA doesn't work in the section. So I purchased ticket at station before riding. I don't know what type of pass you have. Please consult to JR West.

By the way, you can't buy a ticket on a tiny train from Kamo. No conductor rides a train. (Only a driver rides on that train.)

... 2009/4/9 06:21
At Iga-Ueno, if I remember correctly, there are no ticket gates between JR and Iga Tetsudo, and you can just get onto the train to Ueno-shi and pay on board. But it has been about 4-5 years ago when the train was still Kintetsu operated. The situation might have changed. But in any case, it will be straight forward and no need for worries.

. 2009/4/9 06:27
Thanks, yamazakura. In theory the JR Pass that I've got should be valid on the Kansai line as the guide says its a JR line.

Hopefully getting a ticket for the Iga Tetsudo part (the part I was asking about) shouldn't be too difficult to work out. From another post I made in another topic, it sounds like I can get a ticket from vending machines near the gate.

, 2009/4/9 06:36
Thanks for that, Uji. If there are no gates, does that normally suggest that tickets can be purchased on the train? Its something that can generally be done in my country (if the conductor comes round). I don't want to assume its the same in Japan in case I get fined when I get off the train when asked for a ticket at a exit gate but not having one.

... 2009/4/9 06:55
Yes, in that case it can be done.

. 2009/4/10 05:38
Thanks again, Uji. Hopefully all will go smoothly :-)

Iga Ueno 2009/4/10 20:42
When you finally arrive at Iga-Ueno, a few tips! The museum is on the other side of the railroad tracks (and exit of the small but cute station). To get to the other side you have to walk to the nearest railroad x-ing, which is (about) 10 min. walk, but there is also a small 'hidden' (=no signs) tunnel, just on the left side of the exit, from the tunnel it's a 10-15 minute walk to the museum. The museum itself is small but interesting, it consists of a Ninja house with all kinds of hidden doors and things like that, a museum with all kinds of weapons, clothing and photos, behind the museum is a small 'stadium' with a nice and spectacular show with swords, knifes and other weapons, also a lot of jumping and things like that. Close to the museum is also a small castle and a few strange wooden, ancient buildings. There is also a small restaurant. Iga Ueno is a nice place to go, but only if you have enough time (like a 3 or 4 week stay in Japan) or have been to Japan before. When I was visiting Iga-Ueno, it was crowded, and besides me, there was only one other non-Japanese couple visiting this place, so expect a lot of 'attention' from the Japanese tourists and in particular the schoolkids,lol
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/11 08:00
Thanks for that, Bert. A useful inside into what to expect! I'll be in Japan for 2 weeks (Tokyo and Kyoto) and with most of my time in Kyoto, I figured it was worth a side trip to Iga-Ueno and the Ninja museum. From what you've said, I think its going to be interesting :-)

Kanazawa 2009/4/11 22:06
If you like this kind of things (Ninja's), you might (also) consider a visit to Kanazawa and the Ninjadera temple (one of the few original Ninja temples in Japan). There is a direct JR line from Kyoto to Kanazawa and it takes about 3 hours. Besides the Ninja temple, Kanazawa is also famous for one of the three most beautiful landscape gardens in Japan, the Kenrokuen. For more information about Kanazawa: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4205.html
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks for thr suggestion 2009/4/12 07:26
Thanks for the suggestion, Bert. Due to me being in Japan for only 2 weeks and wanting to see as much as possible without overdoing it, I don't think I will have the time to visit Kanazawa. I've planned the places that I want to go and see but will still have to miss out other places due to a lack of time. Its a shame as Kanazawa looks nteresting.
by Staffy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread