Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toei Subway Operating Hours 2009/4/7 12:45
Dear friends,

Have previously done a search on the forum to find out what time the TOEI line starts operation from Shinjuku. Unfortunately, could not find the exact timing, though i got the times for the other lines. Have also browsed through the TOEI official website but could not find the relevant information as well.

As i need to get to the Narita airport by 7am, can i find out if the TOEI Shinjuku line is already in oepration say at 5am or 6am? Would need to transfer to the Keisei Line thereafter.

Thanks for advices :)
by purplesanga  

... 2009/4/7 15:11
The very first one leaves Shinjuku station at 5:02. If you take the Toei Shinjuku line to Moto-yawata, walk to Keisei Yawata to get to Narita airport, that gets you right around 7:00. This involves one change but changing at Yawata takes a bit of walking, doesn't it?

Alternatively, you can take JR Yamanote line from Shinjuku station, changing to the same Keisei train at Nippori as well (starting from JR Yamanote line at 5:02 also). This involves one change.
by AK rate this post as useful

Toei Shinjuku line 2009/4/7 15:23
Hi!
First train starts Shinjuku
at 5:02 on both weekday and
weekend.

Lv.Shinjuku 5:02
Ar.Bakuro-Yokoyama 5:16
(3minutes walk)
Lv.Higashi-Nihonbashi 5:26
Ar.Aoto 5:42
(Change train)
Lv.Aoto 5:45
Ar.Narita TerminalII 6:58
Ar.Narita Terminal I 7:00
by TM (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/7 15:43
JR trains run earlier then subway trains.

From JR Shinjuku Station, I would take the first Yamanote Line train at 4:45 AM, go to NIPPORI STATION, arrives at 5:05 at NIPPORI Station, change to the KEISEI LINE Local Train to NARITA AIRPORT departing at 5:27 (there's one at 5:07 but you might not make it in time), the local train arrives at Narita Airport at exactly 7:00am.

Of course I hope your flight is at least at 8 or 9am, as you will still need to go through security checks, check in and exit immigration.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/4/7 16:49
Thanks guys. Very useful tips indeed. Unfortunately, i do not intend to get JR Passes, so will not be taking the Yamanote Line.

Btw, would anyone be able to direct me instead to the website where you got the information? Would be better for me to do my own research on the intervals between arrival.

In anycase, i would surmise that i would still need to catch the earliest train.
by purplesanga rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/7 17:17
Which terminal will you go to? There are connections which leave which can get you to Narita Airport as early as 6:30. But if 7:00 is fine then the easiest is taking the Yamanote line to Nippori and changing to the Keisei line to the airport as suggested by Expresstrain.

Also, be aware that you do not need a JR pass to use the JR trains. You just purchase a 190 yen regular ticket for the JR portion, and then a 1000 yen keisei ticket when transferring lines. Its cheaper, and about 30 minutes faster than going a non JR route.

You can look up train schedules here:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

and here:

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/7 22:09
Hi, thanks dude.

All along, i was under the mistaken notion that you needed JR passes (that has to be purchased overseas) before you could exchange it for a ticket at the stations. Given this, i would gladly take the advice to take the Yamanote Line.

Just another query, is it "walkable" from the Shinjuku Station to the major shopping areas e.g. Isetan, Marui, or Mitsukoshi? I note that these places are a station away (Shinjuku Sanchome). From my guidebook, the distance is not apparent.

Would appreciate your kind advice, please. Thanks!!

...... 2009/4/7 22:33
In response to the last question:
Yes, it's within a comfortable walking distance.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/8 01:02
All along, i was under the mistaken notion that you needed JR passes (that has to be purchased overseas) before you could exchange it for a ticket at the stations. Given this, i would gladly take the advice to take the Yamanote Line.

It would be strange to have an entire train system only useable to a select few visitors on tourist visas who visit each year.

Just another query, is it "walkable" from the Shinjuku Station to the major shopping areas e.g. Isetan, Marui, or Mitsukoshi? I note that these places are a station away (Shinjuku Sanchome). From my guidebook, the distance is not apparent.

Walk should be a breeze. Less then half a kilometer.
Central Tokyo itself is a very walkable city if you had the time and energy to do it. It was late once and I walked from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku, if I recall it was around 2.2 hours. But thats another story heh.

useful to get the Suica-NEX card 2009/4/17 13:04
Hi guys,

Based on my itenerary, am planning to take the Keisei Line to the Keisei Yawata station, and change to the Toei Shinjuku line at the Motoyawata station.

Is there a better way? Will taking the JR line using the Suica-Nex card be a better option?

I suppose the 2nd option is cleaner, and involves less hassle? What about the costs involved? And foreigners can easily get the Suica-Nex card at Narita right?

For advices please. Thanks.

clarification 2009/4/17 13:10
Just to clarify, i am talking about travelling from Narita airport to the SHinjuku station :)

. 2009/4/17 19:00
Suica-NEX card is incorrect.

Suica&NEX is a packaged deal that comes with a Suica card and a Narita Express (NEX) ticket at a discounted price.

A Suica & NEX deal can only be used for the JR narita express from NRT.

If you get the Suica and NEX package then yes it's a good deal and there are DIRECT trains that go from Narita Airport to Shinjuku.

You can however purchase a Suica (Suica card byitself not with nex) or Pasmo card and ride the Keisei Line if you want.

Based on my itenerary, am planning to take the Keisei Line to the Keisei Yawata station, and change to the Toei Shinjuku line at the Motoyawata station.

Huh? From Narita Airport to Shinjuku??

It's just faster, and cheaper and simpler, to go to Nippori by Keisei Line then change to the Yamanote Line (if you decided not to take Suica & NEX).

If you get the Suica & NEX card then you can go direct by the direct Narita Express trains to Shinjuku (Check schedule).

query 2009/4/22 11:17
Thanks ExpressTrain.

Just to confirm, i can easily use the Suica card at most of the railway lines in Tokyo. Say, if i intend to take the Yamanote Line from Shinjuku to Asakusa, i can use it on the Tobu Toei Metro Line (TokyoMetro line) without having to purchase a card from the Tokyo Metro railways?

I read from a Suica document that says

"If you wish to use Suica and a magnetic train ticket at transfer gates with other railway
companiesf lines, first insert the magnetic train ticket, then touch the scanner with
your Suica. If you touch the scanner with your Suica before inserting the magnetic ticket,
your Suica may become invalidated and unusable the next time you try to use it. You
cannot use two IC farecards together."

Is there a need to get a separate magnetic card from the other railway company?

Thanks for advice!
by purplesanga (guest) rate this post as useful

old info 2009/4/22 12:00
You can use the Suica on all train and subway lines in Tokyo. The advice you posted is what to do if you still have an old magnetic farecard. If you do not have one, you use the Suica for the whole journey.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

query 2009/4/24 16:53
Hi guys,this thread is very useful. Can i find out,for the SUICA card,are the charges the same? e.g. if i am taking a Keisei Line from Narita to Nippori at 1,000yen using the Keisei Ticket, will i be paying the same when using the SUICA card?

Thank you
by Lostboy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/24 17:09
Lostboy, yes, the cost is the same when you use Suica and when you use regular tickets.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread