Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009/4/7 23:08
My husband and I are visiting Hokkaido this June. Would apprec your comments on our itinerary:
Day 1 Arrive in Chitose airport around 3pm, pick up car and drive to Sapporo. Overnight in Sapporo
Day 2 Drive to Otaru and explore the sites around Otaru. Return to stay overnight in Sapporo
Day 3 Drive from Sapporo to Ashahikawa and visits sites there. Overnight at Ashahikawa
Day 4 Drive from Asahikawa to Furano and visit sites there. Overnight at Furano
Day 5 Drive from Furano to Tomakomai. Visit factory outlet and lake toya. Overnight at Tomakomai
Day 6 Drive from Tomakomai to Noboribetsu and return for overnight at Tomakomai
Day 7 Take train (or drive?) from Tomakomai to Chitose airport for flight to Narita airport.

May we know whether the drive from Furano very far? Is it a good idea to station ourselves at Tomakomai for 2 nights to visit Lake Toya and Noboribetsu? What else is there to do at Tomakomai? Or should we station ourselves at Sapporo instead for the last 2 days?

Thanks
by 1st timer to Hokkaido (guest)  

... 2009/4/8 06:52
May we know whether the drive from Furano very far?

It is about 100 kilometers on regular roads (2-2.5 hours) and then about 60 kilometers on expressway (less than 1 hour).

Is it a good idea to station ourselves at Tomakomai for 2 nights to visit Lake Toya and Noboribetsu?

No, I think it would be much more pleasant to stay overnight in these two places. After all, both places are famous for hot springs, which are best enjoyed in combination with a ryokan stay. Furthermore, you will have to drive more by using a base in Tomakomai.

What else is there to do at Tomakomai?

I am not aware of any tourist attractions.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009/4/8 20:03
Thanks Uji. Some more questions:
1. Any comment abt our itinerary in general?
2. How far is Lake Toya and Noboribetsu from Chitose airport? Is it better to drive from these places to the airport or take other transport?
by 1st timber to Hokkaido (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/8 21:57
Any comment abt our itinerary in general?

I think it is good, except the above mentioned suggestion.

How far is Lake Toya and Noboribetsu from Chitose airport?

Almost 100 kilometers.

Is it better to drive from these places to the airport or take other transport?

There are direct buses. Access by train requires a transfer along the way plus a short bus ride from the station to the hot spring town. By car, it is convenient.

Hokkaido itinerary 2009/4/23 23:13
Need your opinion: we can't decide whether to stay at Lake Toya or at Sapporo on our last night in Hokkaido on 8 Jun. We will be leaving from New Chitose airport to Narita Airport at abt 12pm on 9 Jun. Which is a better choice in terms of travelling distance and time to New Chitose airport? Are there airport buses that we could book that will take us from the hotel to the airport?
by 1st timer to Hokkaido (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/24 08:47
It depends on the rest of your itinerary. If you spend you last day before departure are south of Chitose Airport or even in Noboribetsu, it makes sense to stay in Noboribetsu. Otherwise, in Sapporo.

There are buses from Noboribetsu to the airport. And trains and buses from Sapporo to the airport:
http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/access/index.html

Hokkaido itinerary 2009/4/30 10:47
Thanks Uji.

What do you think abt below itinerary:
Day 1 (3 Jun): Arrive at New Chitose Airport. Pick up car and drive to Sapporo. Overnight Sapporo
Day 2 (4 Jun) : Sapporo to Otaru. Back to Sapporo for overnight
Day 3 (5 Jun) : Sapporo to Furano. Overnight at furano
Day 4 (6 Jun): Furano to Lake Toya. Overnight at Lake Toya
Day 5 (7 Jun) : Drive from Lake Toya to Noboribetsu. Back to Lake Toya for overnight
Day 6 (8 Jun)Lake Toya to Sapporo. Overnight at Sapporo
Day 7 (9 Jun) Sapporo to New Chitose Airport to take flight to Narita

Apprec your opinion on following:
1. Do you think 1 night at Furano is enough? Is there alot to see during Jun in Furano or nearby sites?
2. Do you think stay at Lake Toya on the last night and depart from Lake Toya to New Chitose airport or better to go back to Sapporo to stay on the last night and then go to airport from Sapporo?

Thanks for your adv.
by 1st timer in Hokkaido (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/30 19:02
Do you think 1 night at Furano is enough?

It depends on how much you want to see. If you want to see only a little bit and like a fast travel pace, one night is enough. If you want to see the area in more detail or like a slow travel pace, I recommend to allocate more time.

Do you think stay at Lake Toya on the last night and depart from Lake Toya to New Chitose airport or better to go back to Sapporo to stay on the last night and then go to airport from Sapporo?

I recommend to stay the last night in Noboribetsu. Onsen resorts are best enjoyed by staying overnight. And Noboribetsu is a little bit closer to the airport than Lake Toya.

Hokkaido itinerary 2009/5/1 22:01
Thanks Uji. How abt the revised itinerary below? In your opinion, is it better?

Day 1 (3 Jun): Arrive at New Chitose Airport. Pick up car and drive to Sapporo. Overnight Sapporo
Day 2 (4 Jun) : Sapporo to Otaru. Back to Sapporo for overnight
Day 3 (5 Jun) : Sapporo to Furano. Overnight at furano
Day 4 (6 Jun): Furano sightseeing. Overnight at Furano
Day 5 (7 Jun) : Furano to Lake Toya Overnight at Lake Toya
Day 6 (8 Jun)Lake Toya to Noboribetsu. Overnight at Noboritbetsu
Day 7 (9 Jun) Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport to take flight to Narita

... 2009/5/3 03:36
Sounds good. I personally would use public transportation rather than a car on day 1 and 2 and rent a car from day 3, because I find it less stressful to get around Sapporo and to Otaru by public transportation than by car.

May I suggest.. 2009/5/6 02:57
..(following Uji), that you may find it easier to not rent a car until you leave Sapporo, after going to Otaru. (If for no other reason, there's a nice brewery/pub in Otaru, an interesting sake brewery with a tour and tastings, and lots of options for a leisurely seafood lunch by the canals).

Not much to see in Tomakomai, to my tastes. Noboribetsu is good fun, but there are also less developed and just as spectacular onsen areas in Hokkaido that you could go to as part of your trip, to give some contrast.

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/shikotsu/marukoma... for instance, was one of the most memorable stays in my trips to Japan (but I love onsens and staying in ryokan), and is an easy drive to Chitose airport. If you're heading there from the direction of Asahidake (as we were), then you pass a good outdoor sculpture park between Sapporo and Shikotsu-ko. If you really love onsen, there are several outdoor, wild, onsen in Hokkaido. Googling will bring you to many links quite easily.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009/5/6 14:38
Thanks Uji and Winter Visitor for your comment and advice. I will take your adv to rent a car from day 3 onwards only.

1. Do you have recommendation on car rental company with good rates and who allow us to pick up at Sapporo and return at Noboribetsu or New Chitose airport?
2. We are not crazy about Onsens but dont mind staying in one just for the experience. Do you have any affordable onsen or royokan to recommend at Noboribetsu?
3. Any affordable accomdation to recommend at Furano?

Thanks

... 2009/5/7 02:05
Do you have recommendation on car rental company with good rates and who allow us to pick up at Sapporo and return at Noboribetsu or New Chitose airport?

All companies allow Sapporo pick ups and Chitose drop offs. Many of them at no additional drop off fee.

For low rates, I recommend Tocoo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/ad/coocom2.html

For quality, I recommend Toyota Rentacar:
http://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/index.html

Do you have any affordable onsen or royokan to recommend at Noboribetsu?

The most famous hotel, the Takimotokan, has sometimes some relatively inexpensive plans on offer:
http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/index.html

Any affordable accomdation to recommend at Furano?

I recommend a "pension":
http://www.furano-kankou.com/english/hyperlinks/accommo...

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009/5/13 21:52
Thanks Uji. I have taken your advice and booked the hotels at Lake toya and Noboribetsu.
For Furano, what do you think of New Furano Hotel and Hotel Naturwald furano? They have very affordable rates. Are they good quality?

... 2009/5/14 06:04
I am not familiar with either hotel.

Hokkaido Itinerary 2009/5/20 22:55
Hi Uji
Sigh...due to the H1N1 outbreak, we have to forgo our Tokyo sector and travel to Hokkaido only. So we now have 10 days in Hokkaido instead of the previous 6. Have added Hakodate to our itinerary.

We will now arrive in New Chitose airport, Sapporo from Narita airport on 30 May around 8.30pm. May I know whether there is any airport bus from New Chitose to Ramada hotel in Sapporo at that time of the night?

... 2009/5/22 11:52
I think you are overreacting. You are more likely to be attacked by a bear in Hokkaido than to suffer any damage from H1N1 ;)

May I know whether there is any airport bus from New Chitose to Ramada hotel in Sapporo at that time of the night?

Yes, the buses run until around 22:30. Furthermore, you could take the train and subway via Sapporo Station.

reply to this thread