Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day trip to Hiroshima 2009/4/20 02:46
Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a day trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto
and was wondering if anyone can suggest how I can best spend my time there.

From reading around the forum and japan-guide.com, it seems that going to the Peace Park and then onto Miyajima is what most people do when only spending a day there. Is there more I can do and see or is this the best use of my time?

Thanks.
by Staffy  

... 2009/4/20 07:34
The Peace Park and Miyajima are already more than enough for a one day trip from Hiroshima.

About Hiroshima:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html

About Miyajima:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

day in Hiroshima 2009/4/20 08:25
Last fall I went to Hiroshima-for one day trip I recommend the following - in the Morning go to Peace Park and Museum. Have lunch at Mitchan for the local specialty, okomyaki. Then go to Miyajima the rest of the day staying after dark to see the sunset and shrines - this will be a full day.
by bill (guest) rate this post as useful

doable, BUT 2009/4/20 10:12
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Itukusi...

We did it from Osaka last week: its doable, but I recommend you leave Kyoto around 7am or earlier if possible. We left Shinosaka at 7.15 and struggled with the day: felt very rushed. This link (thanks UJI, very helpful) will let you work out when the shrine is at high tide...fabulous) We went to Miyajima first as high tide was 11am, then went to Mt Misen via the ropeway, but only had time for 15 minutes at the top, before going back to Hiroshima to the Peace park and A Bomb Dome: we had no time for the museum, as we had to be back in Osaka by 7pmish to get ready to meet family for dinner at 8pm in Namba. Also, we were running out of daylight, but as the summer approaches that will be less of a problem. We would have preferred longer but feel we saw everything of major interest: it did feel like a "ticking the boxes" type day though.
PS if you are using a JR pass and thinking of staying on Miyajima don't have suitcases: no escalators at Miyajima station : we watched one couple struggle.....
by fmj rate this post as useful

Earlier than I thought! 2009/4/20 20:00
Thanks for your replies. I didn't realise that just seeing these 2 sites would take up a whole day! I was hoping to leave Kyoto at 9am- ish but will look into leaving earlier (thanks for the heads up, fmj).

I like the sound of Bill's recommendation and I also didn't realise that its best to go to Miyajima when its high tide (glad you mentioned this, fmj. If my timings are wrong and I miss high tide, will I be disappointed?

How long should I allow for the museum? I know its down to how long I want to look at the exhibits but I just want a "finger in the air" kind of time so that I can get to Miyajima at the best time.

Thanks.
by Staffy rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/20 20:10
PS thanks for the link for the tide times fmj/Uji. It would help in working out when to go/leave Miyajima.

depends 2009/4/20 20:10
If my timings are wrong and I miss high tide, will I be disappointed?
It depends: we wanted to see it at high tide, and were rewarded with a wedding right on the high tide time (11.03 am) which was most unexpected, but a fabulous extra.
However, if you go at LOW tide, you can walk right out to the red torii, and place a coin in the soft wood for good luck.
Personally, seeing it at high tide was just amazing: post card perfect.

I'll aim for high tide 2009/4/20 21:32
Thanks for clearing that up for me, fmj. As both low and high tides sound equally good I won't make sacrifices to make sure I'm around for high tide but I probably try to be around for it.

Two days minimum for a visit. 2009/4/20 23:16
I think two days is the minimum for a trip to Hiroshima. Expect to be very moved by the peace museum. Definitely go for okonomiyaki ( the server will help you prepare it if you want, and it's not expensive. We spent a night on miyajima at a 'boutique' b& b. The place is so tranquil after the school children tourists have gone, and it guarantees you a good photo of the tori.
by Christopher Osborne (guest) rate this post as useful

Only have 1 day 2009/4/21 06:21
Unfortunately, I can only spend 1 day there so will have to make the most of it whilst I'm there. Is the museum large? The okonomiyaki sounds interesting so will look out for it :-)

peace museum 2009/4/21 09:48
The Peace Museum is 2 floors and has many moving,sometimes disturbing exhibits - allow at least an hour to see it(you have the option of listening to headphones versus reading the exhibits for yourself) - also leave time to walk from the museum through Peace park to the atomic dome-very impessive. I would take the earliest shinkansen out of Kyoto to get to Hiroshima and take the last train back to have enough time to do all you want. To be honest, I left kyoto the night before and stayed in a hotel, getting to the museum between 9-10AM. But I think if you left on the first or second Hikari shinkansen you'd be fine. The okonomyaki is delicious and you'll be so full you won't have to worry about eating the rest of the day. Save room for chargrilled oysters and momiji cookies on Miyajima island.

maybe 2009/4/21 10:38
The okonomyaki is delicious and you'll be so full you won't have to worry about eating the rest of the day. Save room for chargrilled oysters and momiji cookies on Miyajima island.
We did the bento box thing (in Peace Park) as we unfortunately had no time to sit in a restaurant and wait to be served etc etc especially on Miyajima: we really regret not being able to enjoy the oysters in particular. Okonomiyaki can be had in Kyoto: just ask for Hiroshima style and you'll get the one with noodles

... 2009/4/21 12:18
You can save some time by taking the direct ship from the Peace Park to Miyajima. But note that it is not covered by the Japan Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Looking foward to it 2009/4/22 06:17
Thanks for the extra info and advice. Reading about the food has got me hungry!!To make the most of Hiroshima, I'll leave Kyoto early and come back as late as possible (thanks to the advice given to me on this thread).

As I'll have a JR Pass I will want to make use of it going to Miyajima but thanks Uji, for pointing it out to me anyway.

where to eat 2009/4/22 09:14
Staffy - here's the website, address for the okonomiyaki restaurant in Hiroshima where I had lunch. Try to eat at the counter for the full experience. Bon appetit!
http://www.japaninyourpalm.com/Restaurants/michan.htm

. 2009/4/23 04:18
That's absolutely fantastic, Bill! Thanks for the link and for mentioning it in the first place. I'm going to look out for it when I'm there :-)

reply to this thread