Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass from Shinjuku to Nikko 2009/4/22 06:09
For the upcoming trip, I'll be based in Shinjuku. I'm planning to travel from Shinjuku to Nikko. I understand that with JR Pass, I will need to pay extra charge from using other train company's service.

However, I don't know how and where to pay the extra charge. Do I pay it at Shinjuku station or pay in the middle the way to Nikko? Should I use Tobu's service at Asakusa instead?

Thank you.

D.
by donglahoma  

... 2009/4/22 07:09
I understand that with JR Pass, I will need to pay extra charge from using other train company's service.

If you have a Japan Rail Pass, you have to pay a supplement on the direct trains to Nikko. You can do so when making the mandatory seat reservations at the ticket counter. Alternatively, you could travel by shinkansen via Utsunomiya, which would be completely covered.

If you have a JR East Pass, the entire trip is covered.

About access to Nikko:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you so much and one more question! 2009/4/22 18:09
Thank you for your answer.

If I take Tohoku and continue with a local line, the train will stop at JR Nikko station. Is this station much further than the Tobu's?

Cheers,

D.
by donglahoma rate this post as useful

JR and Tobu station Nikko 2009/4/22 18:19
Both are in the same area, maybe 100 m apart.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you. 2009/4/22 18:42
I will probably take Shinkansen and continue with the local line then. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

D.
by donglahoma rate this post as useful

Nikko Free Pass 2009/4/24 18:37
I plan 1 day Nikko trip from Ueno (shinkansen + JR Nikko Line) with my JR Pass.

After I read the orientation of Nikko, I wondering am I need to buy Free Pass for my trip in Nikko? If yes, which pass is more suitable for me?
by ct (guest) rate this post as useful

Trains 2009/4/25 01:43
To help with trains see http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.ht... It will tell you if the train is JR or not so you can see if you can use your JR Rail Pass.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/25 07:35
After I read the orientation of Nikko, I wondering am I need to buy Free Pass for my trip in Nikko? If yes, which pass is more suitable for me?

You have the Japan Rail Pass. That gets you to Nikko cheaper than any other pass.

I need further details 2009/4/26 23:49
Thks for reply!

But I not sure that inside Nikko, I get the free pass if cheaper or I buy Admission Regular Ticket + individual bus ticket cheaper?
by ct (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/27 07:56
It is cheaper to use the Japan Rail Pass to get to Nikko and then buy admission tickets there. If you ride a lot of buses into the national park areas, then a bus pass, which can be bought in Nikko, might pay off.

reply to this thread