Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Please translate 2009/4/29 16:48
日本は、かなり寒くなり人肌が恋しくなります。

What does this mean? I know a little japanese but could not understand the meaning of this sentence..
by Clair (guest)  

... 2009/4/29 19:42
日本は、かなり寒くなり 人肌が 恋しくなります。

I find it a bit strange that they are using this expression of "hitohada ga koishiku naru" to talk about a country's climate in general :)

This expression literally means "yearn for warmth an comfort ot others," "you'd want someone to snuggle up to," and therefore "you will feel lonely by yourself."

- In Japan it gets quite cold, that you would yearn for warmth/comfort of others.
by AK rate this post as useful

Between the lines 2009/4/30 10:49
Thanks AK for the translation..
Just one question..This line was from a mail from my exboyfriend(a japanese guy).Things did not work between us and I went back to my country.He sent me a mail when I was away.I know with everything over now, there is no point in searching for meanings in his mails.But still does it mean He was missing me?He never said that before..And i think there is no word for miss in japanese?So is this his way of telling me that he missed me?Please let me know.And now that I am back to japan I kinda still think of him a lot.
by Clair (guest) rate this post as useful

Not really... 2009/4/30 13:41
Clair,

So that's the background... he *might* have been hinting that he was feeling lonely, just on the pretext that the climate makes him feel that way. But AT MOST he is saying just that, not that he misses YOU. This is a very general "description" type of statement. He might have tried to see how you would react to it, though :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Hmmmm... 2009/4/30 22:08
So that's it....No hidden messages as such.May be I should just forget him and move on.I got the mail in last November..and since could not understand the meaning did not react particularly on that line.So may be I lost an opportunity there.But thanks anyway.I just remebered the winter days we spent together.And I think I understand the meaning of that sentence now.
by Clair (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread