Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2009/4/30 15:29
I've this plan for this route:
8th May 09, Fri
Tachikawa to Shinano Omachi
Stay @ Shinano Omachi
9th May 09, Sat
Shinano Omachi to Toyama (via the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route)
Toyama to Tachikawa

1) Is this advisable or should I start the other way around?
2) Any weather issues for this day?
3) How much does it cost for this & what is the best way?

Thanks
by Mohan (guest)  

... 2009/4/30 19:25
You could save some money by not staying ovenight in Shinano-Omachi and do the whole thing in an overnight trip.

Is this advisable or should I start the other way around?

Transportation starts early in the morning, but stops relatively early in the late afternoon. Therefore, an early start is recommended, which means that starting from Shinano-Omachi is the better direction.

2) Any weather issues for this day?

It is impossible to forecast the weather accurately over such a long time period.

How much does it cost for this & what is the best way?

The best way is to take the Azusa limited express train from Tachikawa to Matsumoto and then a local train to Shinano-Omachi. From Toyama, the route via Echigo-Yuzawa is fastest. You can look up train fares here:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

In addition, the Alpine Route itself costs about 10,000 yen one way.
by Uji rate this post as useful

2010 opening 2009/5/26 11:23
I'm thinking of doing the Alpine Route next year - 2010. I would like to do it as early as possible when it opens in April to avoid Golden Week crowds. When do they decide what the opening date will be?
Thanks!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Alpine Route 2009/5/26 11:57
Hi

Ive just returned from Japan 2 days ago. OMG what an amazing place. So easy to get around by train. No need to speak japanese as most of the younger Japanese can read english just not speak it.
Anyway I did the Alpine Route, I started from Toyama and went to just before the dam then made the return trip. It was breathtaking, it takes a full day to do as you will want to spend a lot of time in Murodo taking in the snow corridor and the outstanding views

Have Fun :)
by Morny (guest) rate this post as useful

@Morny 2009/5/26 14:04
Like you I want to start in Toyama up to the dam and then go back in one day. I read you need to start early, but what is early? 6AM, 7AM or is 9AM ok as well? Thanks for answering.
by Trudy63 rate this post as useful

7.00 is fine 2009/5/28 11:10
We caught the Train from Kanazawa to Toyama at 7.00am then had to wait around for about an hour in Toyama for the train to Tateyama which departed around 9ish and got to Tateyama just after 10 - it was plenty of time to go up to the dam and then do the return trip back. Doing the whole trip in reverse did not take as long because there were less people and you dont tend to dawdle around looking as much. The Train from Toyama to Tateyama is not a JR train so you have to go to the other station which is right next to it
by Morny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread