Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass and Public Transportation 2009/5/6 08:08
Hi folks - I will be traveling to Japan for the first time the first two weeks of June and have already purchased a 14-day JR Pass as I will be going to Tokyo, Kyoto, Misawa (visit relatives), and also doing day trips (TBD). My question is, can I make use of the JR trains in Tokyo and/or Kyoto without having to use other lines (non-JR)? As it is, I already spent $468 on purchase of the JR Pass and would like to limit any more expenditures for transportation. However, I've also heard about the SUICA. Is that to supplement riding on the JR lines? How much should I put on the card if I will only be in Tokyo for 4 days? How about Kyoto (2 days)?

Thanks for any responses.
FB =)
by fabu1975 (guest)  

... 2009/5/6 12:21
Some places in Tokyo and Osaka are easier or only accessible by subways, which are not covered by the Japan Rail Pass, than by JR trains. But these subway rides will cost only a few hundred yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Where to 2009/5/6 12:31
It very much depends on the TBD part of your plan. The JR pass is good for JR trains anywhere ( Nozomi excepted ). Obviously there are parts of Tokyo that it won't get you to, likewise in Kyoto. In Kyoto you are more likely to use the subway or the bus. There are day tickets available but again it depends entirely on the 'plan' as to whether or not they are a worthwhile purchase. For a few days in Tokyo and given the reasonably unlikely need to use non JR I'd suggest that you stick with individual tickets for the non JR trips. But if your 'plan' is going to get you off JR a bit then get a Suica card. Suica certainly makes life a lot easier by just passing through gates without any bother. It comes with Y1500 ready to go and if you need more just recharge it at the Suica machines. You will get any unused fare back when you ( if you ) hand it in at the end of the trip. You will lose some of the Y500 deposit but it won't be much of a loss. I think a lot of people just keep the card as a souvenir anyway.
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/6 18:44
What is you itinerary at the moment?

If you are worried about budgeting, then there are discounted ways of getting between Tokyo and Kyoto, also you might not need a 14 day Pass (depending on your itinerary) you might be fine with just a 7 day pass. Again depends on your tentative itinerary.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

Itinerary 2009/5/7 03:32
Hey guys, thanks for your helpful advice thus far. My itinerary is below. If you have an suggestions or recommendations, please let me know. However, I've already made bookings for hostels in Narita, Kyoto, and Narita.

- June 4: Arrive Narita and stay overnight
- June 5: Travel to Kyoto.
- June 5 - 8: Stay in Kyoto (with possible side trips to Osaka and others).
- June 8: Travel to Tokyo.
- June 8 - 11: Stay in Tokyo.
- June 11: Travel to Misawa (Aomori) to visit relatives.
- June 11 - 14: Stay in Misawa.
- June 14 or 15: Come back to Tokyo.
- June 15: Depart Narita for Los Angeles, CA, USA

Thanks you again!
by fabu1975 (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2009/5/7 03:37
Oops, I meant to say that I already made reservations for hostels in Narita, Kyoto, and Tokyo. While in Misawa, I will be staying with relatives. Speaking of Misawa, I hear that there's not much going on there except for the numerous onsens in the region and the airforce base. Anything worth visiting in Aomori?

Thanks much!
by fabu1975 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/8 04:02
Aomori has quite a lot of interesting places.

The Shimokita Peninsula, just north of Misawa, has one of Japan's three most sacred sites, Osorezan ("Fear Mountain").

The Lake Towada and Mount Hakkoda offer some beautiful natural scenery, inlcuding the Oirase Stream:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3775.html

Hirosaki is a former castle town with quite a few attractions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3701.html

Lots of great onsen can be found in the mountains that sit on the border of Aomori, Iwate and Akita Prefecture, including Tamagawa Onsen, the most acidic onsen in all of Japan, and Nyuto Onsen with some of the most atmospheric baths and onsen ryokan in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread