Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

bullet train and local subway 2009/5/18 00:18
hi, just want to ask if the 7day pass for the bullet train can be used in local subways also? our first stop is in osaka and we plan to go to tokyo after 2 days and im not sure if we can use this 7 day pass (JR Pass) in local trains going around tokyo city.
Another concern of mine is going to Nara? we plan to go there by JR west or the kintetsu rail. but i heard that when we get to the park, we still have to take a bicycle going to the deer-feeding area... is this true? is there any other way we can go there without taking the bicycle because im going with my daughter who's very young.

thanks
by candicetuquib  

Japan Rail Pass 2009/5/18 08:29
Candicetuquib,

The Japan Rail Pass can be used on all (with a very small number of exceptions) JR trains, including shinkansen and local trains. It cannot be used on non-JR lines or subways operated by other companies.
So in Tokyo, while you can't use the subways for free, you can still use the Yamanote loop line which gets you close to most places.

No idea about Nara, but have you read the details given on this site?
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nara 2009/5/18 08:55
I was in Nara in February this year, and its very easy to get from the Station (either JR or Kintetsu) to the Deer Park.
Options include Walking (30 mins), a Taxi (1000-1500 yen) or on Weekends there is a Nara Loop bus which runs to all of the Tourist attractions and cost approx 800 yen.
If you simply want to see or feed the Deer just go to Todai-ji (where the Golden Buddha is) and your certain to see Deer there.
Just a word of warning the Deer can be very forward if you have food and this could be intimidating for Young Children (think of being harrassed by a 8' tall horse).
by Philip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread