Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much to take for 20 days? 2009/5/18 01:26
Hello

I'll be going to Japan from end of june for 20 days. Wondering how much I should bring for the daily stuff?

Flights, hostels, rail pass excluded as already sorted.

Starting off in Tokyo, then going to Kyoto,nara hiroshima, mijajima and mt fuji

Don't really drink much and dont mind cheapest food
by Oxford (guest)  

... 2009/5/18 08:14
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 11:00
I stayed in Japan in Feb/March this year for exactly 20 days and did the exact itinerary you are planning.

Expenses for day to day living in Japan were as follows:
- Non-JR transport
- Food
- Taxi
- Tourist spots
- Unexpected costs (eg: using a locker at the train staion).

The biggest cost I found was using the non-JR transport in Nara, Osaka, and Kyoto as some tourist spots are not accessed by JR transport but rather subways by other companies.

Food, there are plenty of cheap options there. Buying food from supermarkets, McDonalds, ramen noodles are filling and cheap and are everywhere! All cheap!

Anyway, all up I was easily under $1500, I think it was something like $1350 once I bought some souveneirs. I am a big eater and didn't budget myself and still managed to spend less than $1500 so unless your looking at booking some really expensive tours or eating at restaurants every night, you should be more than fine on this amount. (And I am talking Australian dollars).

Just do your research and make sure you find out al the costs of tourist sites you want to visit and trains you have to take. Im sure if you researched a lot you could lower the costs even more.

Hope that helps. Any more questions just ask!
by Daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/19 02:48
Thanks Daniel, so was the 1375 on gifts out of the 1500???

That really good! Did you find 20 days hard push or did u struggle to fill the time?
by Oxford (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/19 10:36
Haha no, the gifts were only like $100-200 all up. Had to get something for the family back home.

Honestly, I needed more than 20 days!! I didn't want to leave. For what we had planned (and what you have planned by the sounds of it) 20 days will be perfect! It's just that when you're over there you keep reading of and finding new things to do, or want to do again. Just walking around the city doing nothing is amazing and could take a whole day! I am a 21 year old student so I am fairly active and always found new things to do.

Also, you will be suprised that Japan isn't as $$$ as people say. In fact, we found Australian prices, especially for food, to be exactly the same as Japan's. The only thing that is more expensive in Japan than back home would be public transport. But if you have a JR pass and plan ahead on how to get to places only using JR lines, then you will be fine!!

I saved up and took $3000 for spending money, and came back with just over $1500 so yeah, it is doable on this budget. But like I said before, it just depends on what your planning on doing over there??

Also, my friend who I travelled with spent about the same amount all up, possibly even less as he was on a tighter budget than I.

Hope that helps.
by Daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/22 01:50
How long did you get the rail pass for???? Im thinking of only a week then spending the money for the one way back to Tokyo
by Oxford (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread