Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone correct this 2009/5/18 10:46
Hi, this is a little speech I am supposed to make and I desperately need help correcting it. I am just starting to learn the language so naturally I am sure there are many errors. Any help would be so greatful. Thank you!

Watashi wa maiasa hachi ji ni okimasu. Sore kara, hachi ji han ni asagohan wo tabemasu. Soshite, watashi wa tokidoki wo jogingu shimasu. Gozen ku ji han ni ie wo demasu. Watashi no ie kara daigaku made chikatetsu de ni ji kan gurai kakarimasu. Amari benri dewa arimasen. Senshuu kuruma wo norimashite. Kurasu wa ju ichi ji ni hajimarimasu. Sore kara, daigaku no chikaku no resutoran de chuushoku wo tabemasu. Watashi wa go ji ni ie e kaerimasu. Watashi wa maiban roku ji bangohan wo tabemasu. Watashi wa piza to yasai ga daisuki desu. Watashi wa Huransu ryoori ga kirai desu. Sore kara, mainichi gozen ichi ji goro nemasu.

*I know it is really basic but these were the requirements of the speech. Sorry I couldn't write in kanji etc. but my computer does not recognise japanese symbols.

Any corrections would be great!

Thank you.
by Dan (guest)  

Corrections 2009/5/18 12:22
Dan,

I'm not a native speaker, but here are some obvious corrections...

Soshite, watashi wa tokidoki wo jogingu shimasu.

No need for "wo" here.

Senshuu kuruma wo norimashite.

Maybe you meant "ni norimashita"? "kuruma de ikimashita" would probably be better here.

Watashi wa maiban roku ji bangohan wo tabemasu.

I think you need to say "roku ji ni" here.

Watashi wa Huransu ryoori ga kirai desu.

"Furansu ryoori".
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Actually 2009/5/18 15:14
-- ''Furansu ryoori''.

Furansu and Huransu are the same, in fact my textbook uses Huransu.
by Firedraco rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/18 15:37
Just to add to what Dave in Saitama said already:

Soshite, watashi wa tokidoki wo jogingu shimasu.
Properly it should be: Soshite, watashi wa tokidoki jogingu wo shimasu.
You can also skip "wo" as suggested earlier.

Watashi no ie kara daigaku made chikatetsu de ni ji kan gurai kakarimasu.
Are you sure it is "chikatetsu," meaning, really underground subway? If you mean a non-JR, other above-ground private railway, you can say "shitetsu de" (by private railway). If you only mean "by train," you can simply say "densha de" instead.

Watashi wa Huransu ryoori ga kirai desu.
"kirai" is really "actively hate," so you might say "...ga nigate desu." This tones it down to "dislike, not favor."

Sore kara, mainichi gozen ichi ji goro nemasu.
Instead of "mainichi," I might use "maiban."

You can omit some of the "Watashi wa..." sentence beginnings where it looks repetitive.
by AK rate this post as useful

Senshuu kuruma wo norimashite 2009/5/18 16:36
With the little gramatical mistakes (which have been corrected by others) aside, the only part I couldn't understand was;

Senshuu kuruma wo norimashite.

This sentence seem to appear out of the blue. If you wanted to imply that, since the university is so inconvenient by train, you went by car "instead", then I would say;

Senshuu WA kuruma de ikimashite.
or
Senshuu wa kuruma de ikimashita.

"Ikimashite" or "ikimashita", whichever is fine. The former has a tone of being a bit embarrassed about it. It would be ideal if you smile as you're saying it. On the other hand, the latter is a basic expression.

However, if you are making the speech at the university, you should say kimashite/kimashita.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Hepburn vs Kunrei 2009/5/19 09:47
Firedraco wrote:

Furansu and Huransu are the same, in fact my textbook uses Huransu.

So long as you are consistent and write "Huzisan" when romanizing the name of Japan's symbolic mountain, I have no real problem with that. ;-)
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread