Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can anyone help me with citizenship? 2009/5/20 15:56
Hi..Can anyone help me regarding my current situation? My dad is a japanese citizen and my mom is a filipina but both of them left me when i was like 3 years old. I grew up here in the Philippines with my grand parents. Anyways, i was born on 1987 and im 22 right now...and i want to have a japanese citizenship..im a registered nurse here in the philippines and a registered voter, too...
is there any way i can be a japanese citizen? and be able to go to japan and live there? i really want to meet my dad's relatives there. though
i dont know anything bout my dad and his relatives...also i don't know where is he now. but my mom is here in the country..somewhere...

im wishing you can help me..^^,
thanks in advance...

by shojisuke  

Born 2009/5/20 17:13
Were you born in Japan? If not in these circumstances no chance.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

As far as I know 2009/5/20 17:52
Japanese citizenship is determined by the nationality of the parents, not by where you were born.

So if you know your father is Japanese, and can somehow prove it on paper (any birth certificate with parents' names, or do you know if your father registered you on his "koseki" family register?), then you have a chance.

As a nurse there *may* be another way to come to Japan to work - there is a special program for Philippine qualified nurses to come on a special program to train and work for a year or something, solely for caring for the elderly. I'm not sure of the details, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/20 18:07
Where you were born makes no difference. The determining factor is whether or not you are registered on your father's family register.

See the end of this similar thread for more info (specifically AK's post at the end):

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+3...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

.. 2009/5/20 18:14
Hence the word 'circumstances' i used....
This person isn't going to be able to prove anything about her father.
If the person was not born in Japan then given these circumstances the chances of the father registering them on the koseki is next to none.

The parents gave up the child. The absolute best hope this person has is tracking down the mother but that's not going to help with the citizenship.
It's sad people do this but you got to be realistic and not offer false hope.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/20 18:26
If the person was not born in Japan then given these circumstances...

I just wanted to make sure that the "determining factor" was not where you were born, that was all.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/20 18:35
Actually, AK lays out shojisuke's options pretty clearly. And I see no false advice or false hope being given.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

legitimae marriage 2009/5/21 01:09
Were your parents legally married with a marriage certificate? Were you born under this legal wedlock with a birth certificate? If positive, you may stand a chance. If not, or that you were born out of your parents cohabitation, then the chance is slim, particularly when the whereabout of your parents is unknown.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

can anyone help me with citizenship? 2009/5/22 20:52
uh..thanks for the reply..^^

anyways,my mom and dad were legally married..i fact,i have their marriage contract with me now..both registered here in Philippines and Japan.

i have pictures of me and my dad too, when i was little...
sigh..

i am really hopeless..
by shojisuke rate this post as useful

hopeful 2009/5/23 01:33
You just give light to your own case. Since your parents were legally married with a certificate now in your hands, you were born legitimate and thus has the right to join your father now living in Japan.

Now the relationship with your parents is established. The next thing to do is to search for further documentary proofs to support your claim. If you have a copy of his passport or Philippines ID showing date of birth and other personal particulars, it would be encouraging. Perhaps the marriage registry may have that record. Otherwise, do you have more family photos? Did your father sign anything for you during your schoolage (school record)? These information and evidence are helpful when you approach the Japanese consulate for application. May be they can help to locate your father in Japan! You need to do a lot of work. It is your case!
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Search NPO or lawyer's e-mail 2009/5/23 15:31
please try to google HINOMARU-baby problem or else. May be you can find some speciallist.
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread