Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt Fuji? 2009/5/22 20:45
Hi,

Anybody been to Mt Fuji, is it worthwhile to visit?

I am thinking to stay in a ryokan with onsen, which one has the best view and easy access to Mt Fuji? (Lake Kawaguchi, Lake Ashi, Hakone or others?)

by sydboyz (guest)  

... 2009/5/23 09:47
Yes, I have been there. It is worth the trip. It is a beautiful mountain. For a close-up view and high possibility of actually seeing the mountain, I recommend to visit the Fuji Five Lake region:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html

Visibility tends to be best in the early mornings (before 10am). And tends to be better in the winter than in the summer.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mt Fuji? 2009/5/24 11:04
Thanks for the info, Uji.

What is the weather like in Mt Fuji around March compare to Tokyo?

I found a resort called ''Sunnide Resort'', has anyone been there before? (Mt Fuji view and hot spring/open air bath is a must)

by sydboyz (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/24 21:05
The weather is very similar to that of Tokyo. However, the mountain itself is often creating some clouds, and can hide itself even on clear days.

Temperature 2009/5/27 07:34
If you're plannin on hiking up Mt. Fuji, you'll need at least a heavy jacket to wear over a sweater. Gloves may also be useful. It's really cold on the moutain even in the middle of summer.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

mt fuji - hakone 2009/5/27 20:52
If I am planning to stay one night at Lake Kawaguchi, then about 10 - 11 am going to Hakone for the round course, will there be enough time?

Before going to Hakone, is it worthwhile to go to Kawaguchi 5th station? (I am not a climber person).

Thanks

... 2009/5/28 08:14
If I am planning to stay one night at Lake Kawaguchi, then about 10 - 11 am going to Hakone for the round course, will there be enough time?

It takes close to two hours to get from Kawaguchiko Station to the nearest spot along the Hakone roundtrip, which is Togendai at the northern end of Lake Ashinoko.

I recommend to leave at 10 rather than 11. It gets you to Hakoen by around noon, which leaves you about 5 hours to complete the round course. It is not much time, but possible if you do not travel at a slow pace.

If you plan to return to Tokyo by train via Odawara, Togendai is not a good place to start the round course, because it is at the opposite side of Odawara. You would have to backtrack, travel twice or skip part of the circle. Alternatively, you ould do the entire circle and return to Tokyo by bus from Togendai. Do you even plan to travel to Tokyo afterwards?

Before going to Hakone, is it worthwhile to go to Kawaguchi 5th station? (I am not a climber person).

I personally don't think it is worth, because I consider the views of the mountain more spectacular than the views from the 5th Station of the mountain. But if you are very interested to experience being on the mounatin, it might be worth it. There is not much to see and do there.

japan 2009/5/28 18:41
Thanks once again, Uji.

I am still re-arranging my 10 nights in Japan itinerary but at the moment, it is like this:

Day 1 Tokyo (Arrive)
Day 2 Osaka - Kyoto
Day 3 Kyoto
Day 4 Kyoto-Kawaguchiko/Hakone
Day 5 Kawaguchiko/Hakone-Tokyo
Day 6 DisneySea
Day 7 DisneyLand
Day 8 Tokyo
Day 9 Tokyo
Day 10 Tokyo
Day 11 Tokyo (Depart)

Any suggestions of the itinerary with minimal travelling time?

Thanks in advance

... 2009/5/28 21:00
Kyoto-Kawaguchiko/Hakone
Day 5 Kawaguchiko/Hakone-Tokyo

If you have only two days, start day 1 in Kyoto and end day 2 in Tokyo, I recommend to visit only one place: Hakone or Kawaguchiko, but not not both. Because of time restriction. This is unless you like to travel at a very fast pace.

tokyo 2009/5/29 08:15
I am thinking of reducing days in Tokyo.

How many days do you think to go to these places:
1. Imperial Palace
2. Shinjuku
3. Shibuya
4. Ginza
5. Harajuku
6. Odaiba
7. Akibahara
8. Ueno Park

Why both? 2009/5/29 08:58
Is there any reason why you must visit both Kawaguchi-ko and Hakone? I don't see the need ti visit both of them on a short trip. Also, if you are coming from Kyoto, going to Kawaguchi-ko (north of the mountain and then to Hakone (east of the mountain, but on the way back to Kyoto) doesn't make any sense.

If you must visit both, go to Hakone on the way back from Kyoto, then Kawaguchi-ko, then Tokyo- you will save yourself a lot of travel time.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

one or the other 2009/6/6 22:00
I definitely agree you are wasting time trying to see Kawaguchiko and Hakone in such a short time. Both have ropeways, sightseeing, onsens, and views of Mt Fuji. I think Fuji Five Lakes has better views of Fuji (and wintertime it's cold, but almost always clear and a beautiful view of Fuji-san).
I live near Lake Shouji, and in March it is still freezing cold here! My toothpaste freezes solid even. :) We had our last snow in April this year. :0
But, the ski resorts here stayed open through March, so that was good.
This area is gorgeous year round, but the rainy season (especially June) we get many clouds and sometimes sporadic view of Fuji-san.

by ryokangirl (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/7 09:58
Thanks all for your input. I have decided to go to Hakone and dropped Mt Fuji. Considering no guarantees a view of Mt Fuji.

reply to this thread