Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rail pass advice on itinerary please 2009/5/25 12:15
I am hoping we could get by with 7 day passes if we do not activate them until we leave for Hiroshima- the traveling before that leg does not appear to be expensive . What do you think? Can we get away with just a seven day pass? Are trains to Hiroshima from Kyoto normally booked on a Saturday morning? Should we activate them a day early to make reservations? Please advise. thanks!

Day 1- get to Kyoto hotel from Itami Airport
Day 2 - Nara and Fushimi Inari Taisha
Day 3 Kyoto then train to Uji River Cormorant Fishing
Day 4- Kyoto
Day 5- activate pass and take
bullet train to Hiroshima, then ferry to Mirajima
Day 6- train to Nagoya
Day 7- day trip to Takayama from Nagoya
Day 8- Nagoya to Tokyo
Day 9- Tokyo area
Day 10- day trip to Lake Ashi
Day 11- Tokyo
Day 12- get to airport from Odaiba

by resourceress  

JR Rail Pass 2009/5/25 19:42
Already on day 1 of your arrival in Japan you can exchange your Exchange Order in the Japan Rail Pass and you state that you want to have it started day 5. So on day 1 you can already make free seat reservations. Lake Ashi and Odaiba area are not covered by JR Rail Pass.
The first JR Hida express leave Nagoya 07.43 h arrive Takayama 10.04 h, last leave Takayama 18.42 h arrive Nagoya 21.01 h , you have connection to the 21.22 h hikari lv Nagoya, arrive Tokyo 23.10 h
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Travel Plans 2009/5/26 02:44
The train service in JP is insanely efficient. To help you better plan your trip you can either d/l the pdf of the schedule of the trains here
http://japanrail.com/JR_timetableandfare.html#a3
or check this website to give you an idea of the duration of time from point to point
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

As mentioned above I suggest you exchange your vouchers for the actual tickets when you arrive at the airport, BUT STATE THAT YOU WILL USE IT ON A LATER DATE.

We actually did something similar as well and if you are not comfy with the travel arrangements you can opt to get the one day pass or kansai pass. Kobe-Kyoto-Nara are all close to each other and won't cost as much. I also suggest goign to Himeji-jo, the best kept castle in Japan and it is very close to the Osaka area.

Cheers and safe travels
by The Philippine Traveller rate this post as useful

good information! more please 2009/5/26 06:13
So,we can activate our passes at the airport in Tokyo while we are waiting for our plane to Itami but tell them we want them to start on day 5 of our trip. Excellent! Can we reserve actual train times at that point too? I'm a bit concerned (freaked out actually) about making connections when I look at the schedules at Hyperdia. Is there time enough between these schedules to allow for the uninitiated in a strange station? We'll be traveling the week of the Maritime, or Ocean Day, long weekend so I'm assuming trains will be booked!
On our way back to Nagoya fron Hiroshima, leaving around 2:00 PM, would the Himeji-jo Castle be doable? We want to get to Nagoya by 8:00 PM at the latest to meet family. We are staying there for 2 nights. Also, family wants to show us around Nagoya and suggest visiting Inuyama instead as a shorter day trip. Opinions please? Thanks so much Peter and PT for the good advice.
by resourceress rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/26 06:41
So,we can activate our passes at the airport in Tokyo while we are waiting for our plane to Itami but tell them we want them to start on day 5 of our trip.

Yes, you fill out the following form, including a "first date of use", which can be a date in the future:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/images/application.pdf

Can we reserve actual train times at that point too?

Yes, after you get your actual pass, you can make free reservations for any date during your pass' period of validity.

Is there time enough between these schedules to allow for the uninitiated in a strange station?

Yes, Hyperdia is considering the time it takes to walk between platforms at a relatively slow speed.

On our way back to Nagoya fron Hiroshima, leaving around 2:00 PM, would the Himeji-jo Castle be doable?

Himejijo closes at 16:00. At 17:00 from June to August. It takes about 90 minutes to get from Hiroshima to Himeji Castle. So, if you are leaving Hiroshima around 14:00, you will probably not be able to fit in a visit to the castle, unless you travel between June and August, when the castle remains open until 5pm. Even then, you have to visit at a fast pace.

We want to get to Nagoya by 8:00 PM at the latest to meet family.

That would be possible.

Also, family wants to show us around Nagoya and suggest visiting Inuyama instead as a shorter day trip.

Inuyama is nice. The Kiso Valley is also a very attractive day trip from Nagoya. Generally speaking, Nagoya offers various excellent day trip options. Others are a visit to Ise Shrine. If you like amusement parks, you can visit Nakashima Spa Land. Takayama, Gero and Gujo are other options:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

last question on this itinerary 2009/5/26 20:01

Thank you so much Uji for all the useful informtion. If we leave Hiroshima early, we will be sure to stop at the castle.
On the day of our bullet train to Tokyo from Nagoya, is there any recommended stop on the way? I was hoping to visit a post town but looks like the Edo Vally is north of the bullet rain route. Or, would you get right into Tokyo? We are staying in Odaiba. Thanks

... 2009/5/27 07:21
It is called the Kiso Valley. Indeed, it would be an additional side trip rather than a stop along the way.

There is no must-see stop along the Tokaido Shinkansen between Nagoya and Tokyo. A visit to Hakone would be possible (get off at Odawara):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Many thanks 2009/5/28 05:14
I appreciate all your help, and know I'll have many more questions before our July trip. This forum is wonderful,

reply to this thread