Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 nights too long in tokyo? 2009/5/28 07:01
Hello,

I am visiting japan for the first time this july. I am planning to spend 3 nights in Fukuoka (to visit a pen pal), than 3 nights in Kyoto and 8 nights in tokyo. I was thinking of just doing a bunch of day trips from tokyo to the surrounding areas. Is that a good idea or is 8 nights in tokyo too long? any advice would be great.

thanks - ruby ^_^
by rubyred1120  

... 2009/5/28 09:56
It depends on the person and personal interests. I know a few people who could easily spend two weeks just in Tokyo, but I also know some people who would skip Tokyo entirely.

Tokyo does, however, offer lots of relatively easy day trips. So even if you get tired of Tokyo, you still have a lot of options:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

All depends... 2009/5/28 10:19
Rubyred,

I can easily spend 8-days in Tokyo without going out of town. There is food to be had, drinks to be drank, neighborhoods to explore, museums and parks to visit...

If this is your first visit you will easily discover that 8-days can be filled with little problem.

Since you have plans to travel outside the city all I suggest is make sure you understand the time it will take you to get to and from your destination.

The rail and bus lines are really great but sometimes it is the time that throws people off.

Os a side bar, you may consider adding a few days to the time you are in Kyoto because you can easily get to Nara and Osaka from Kyoto.

Have fun!
by tenshinyc rate this post as useful

one more question 2009/5/28 12:05
I did check out the page for the tokyo tours. I see a lot of morning / afternoon or full day tours. Should I book it now or will it be ok to wait till I actually get to tokyo? I am interested in the Mt. Fuji/Hakone tour and the Kamakura tour.
by rubyred1120 rate this post as useful

alone in ... 2009/5/28 14:48
There is absolutely no need to take tours unless they are dirt cheap. I don't speak Japanese but get around Japan very easily. The trains and subways are very easy to use (and they have signs in English). AND of course I read a guidebook for months
beforehand and look at maps again and again (and carry them with me of course, along with notes and itineraries I make from info in guidebooks and on the Internet) ).
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread