Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Uji 2009/6/3 16:10
Hi Uji,

Need your help again.

After taking your advice,I decided to drop Fukuoka. But I need to another advice again.

My inital plan is to go Tokyo - Hakone - Gotemba - Osaka - Kyoto then back to Tokyo again. Do you think I should do Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Hakone - Gotemba and then Tokyo again. Is there any difference? As my thoughts is that if I happen to do any shopping at Gotemba then I will have to carry it all the way to Osaka.

Another thing is I am still pondering if I should stay a night at Hakone as it is quite expensive or I can travel back to Tokyo and then the next day take the bus to Gotemba again. Which will be better.

Thanks
by qing22 (guest)  

... 2009/6/3 17:47
Is there any difference? As my thoughts is that if I happen to do any shopping at Gotemba then I will have to carry it all the way to Osaka.

That is the only major difference I can think of, too.

Another thing is I am still pondering if I should stay a night at Hakone as it is quite expensive or I can travel back to Tokyo and then the next day take the bus to Gotemba again. Which will be better.

I recommend to overnight in Hakone. There are some budget choices, too, for example:
http://www.japanhotel.net/kappa/

If you cannot find an inexpensive accommodation inside Hakone, you could also opt for a business hotel in Odawara or Gotemba.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Factory Outlet 2009/6/3 19:20
Uji,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I thought Gotemba is just a factory outlet. You meant there is actually hotels there.

Since I am going to Osaka, if I should decide on going to 1 factory outlet do you recommend Gotemba or Rinkai Town?

Thanks
by qing22 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/4 06:13
I thought Gotemba is just a factory outlet.

It is an outlet mall.

You meant there is actually hotels there.

No, there is no hotel at the mall, but there must be several business hotels in central Gotemba, e.g. around Gotemba Station. Gotemba is a town.

Since I am going to Osaka, if I should decide on going to 1 factory outlet do you recommend Gotemba or Rinkai Town?

The Gotemba Outlet Mall is larger and has the nicer surrounding. Rinkai Town has more other (non-outlet) shopping opportunities besides the outlet mall.

Gotemba 2009/6/4 15:14
Hi Uji,

I didn't know that Gotemba is a town. I thought it is just a premium outlet.

Is there any place that I should visit at Gotemba? Does it mean that at Gotemba station, I can still walk around and then take the shuttle bus to the premium outlet.

Therefore, I should actually depart Hakone early in the morning and arrive before noon at Gotemba to have sufficient time for viewing then travel back to Tokyo.

Actually, do you think that I can do Hakone and Gotemba in a day that means I take the earliest train from Kyoto then walk around Hakone for half a day and proceed to Gotemba.

Thanks
by qing22 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/4 18:56
Is there any place that I should visit at Gotemba?

There is nothing major to see in Gotemba. You better spend your time in nearby Hakone.

Does it mean that at Gotemba station, I can still walk around and then take the shuttle bus to the premium outlet.

Yes. But there is not much to see around Gotemba Station.

Therefore, I should actually depart Hakone early in the morning and arrive before noon at Gotemba to have sufficient time for viewing then travel back to Tokyo.

Hakone and Gotemba are neighboring municipalities. Depending on where in Hakone you are located, it takes only about 20-80 minutes to reach Gotemba Station. The outlet mall is open until around 8pm.

Actually, do you think that I can do Hakone and Gotemba in a day that means I take the earliest train from Kyoto then walk around Hakone for half a day and proceed to Gotemba.

No, then you won't be to see almost anything in Hakone. Only if you like a very fast travel pace and are content with seeing just a tiny bit of Hakone, it can be done.

Why? 2009/6/4 20:15
Why are so many people interested in Gotemba? It's just an outlet mall, and prices there are not that great except for out of fashion goods. If you want cheap shopping, I think you could get better deals in the U.S. with the cheap dollar. The strong yen makes shopping here more expensive.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/4 21:33
People, who ask questions in this forum, tend to be primarily interested to visit Japan and not the US. For many of them it is cheaper and easier to visit Japan than to visit the US.

reply to this thread