Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn foliage 2009/6/3 21:03
Planning on driving this autumn primarily to enjoy the autumn foliage (prefer Shizuoka, Aichi, Gifu, Fukui, Ishikawa, or Toyama areas to fit in with our trip although detailed itiniery not planned as yet other than flying in/out of Nagoya). Could someone suggest a beautiful place for autumn foliage somewhere within the above areas ?
by mt (guest)  

dont get ur hopes up ! 2009/6/4 21:05
If you are from north America or nothern Europe, the autumn leaves are nothing special and I wouldnt make a trip primarily for this.
by q-man (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/4 21:43
I fundamentally disagree with q-man. The autumn leaf season in Japan is unique and worth a trip around the world. Just like with cherry blossoms.

Japanese gardens and architecture in combination with autumn leaves during the peak of the autum leaf season make for a unique, priceless sight that cannot be enjoyed anywhere else but in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

No no 2009/6/5 00:30
Agree with Uji and while I am not from N America or Europe, I have seen so many beautiful pics of autumn foliage in Japan, just can't remember + dont know where to go to see that.
by mt (guest) rate this post as useful

autumn foliage 2009/6/5 03:41
Autumn foliage is indeed unique in Japan. I'm from Canada and we are not short of maples, yet I won't hesitate to go to Japan just for autumn foliage.

In Shizuoka Prefecture, consider going to Shuzen-ji: http://www.rurubu.com/season/autumn/koyo/detail.asp?Soz...

In Toyama Prefecture, consider going to Kurobe Gorge and take a scenic train ride:
http://www.kurotetu.co.jp/en/index.html
by William5 rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/5 08:22
There is a magnificent town with castle,river etc. called Gujo hachiman. Hire a car in Takayama and spend a great day or two driving through the autumn colours to there and back.Staying would be even better.
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Great suggestions 2009/6/5 19:40
Thanks everyone, I now have something to start planning the trip. Are there no great places for autumn foliage in Aichi, Gifu, Fukui, Ishikawa ?
For Takayama and Kurobe gorge, am I correct in assuming best viewing time is mid-November rather than late November ?
If I drive on the Norikura skyline at that time, is there likely to be snow near the top--kind of a mini snow wall ?

autumn foliage 2009/6/5 23:26
by William5 rate this post as useful

Thanks again William5 2009/6/5 23:41
That's a great start. I'll try to get someone who knows Japan + speak Japanese to tell me about your links so as not to trouble you further. Thanks again.

reply to this thread