Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Expansion 2009/6/6 23:03
I am looking for a general itinerary. The website lists a 21 day itinerary, but it also seems rushed. I will be in Japan for a month, but want to spend the time relaxing as well. Anyone know of changes to the itinerary to either see more, or to relax more? Or both?

Thanks!

Day 1: Arrive at Kansai Airport, and spend the remaining day in Kyoto.

Day 2-5: Spend three full days in Kyoto and one day in nearby Nara. Nara is an easy day trip from Kyoto.

Day 6: In the morning, travel from Kyoto to Mount Koya (3 hours) and overnight there at a temple.

Day 7: Spend the morning at Mount Koya. Around noon, take the train to Osaka (2 hours) and spend the afternoon, evening and night there.

Day 8: In the early morning, travel from Osaka to Hiroshima (2 hours) and visit the Peace Park. In the afternoon, continue to Miyajima and overnight there.

Day 9: Get up early and spend the morning on Miyajima. Then continue to Nagasaki on the island of Kyushu (4.5 hours) and spend the evening and night there.

Day 10: Spend a full day in Nagasaki.

Day 11: Leave Nagasaki in the morning for Himeji (4-5 hours). Spend the afternoon exploring Himeji Castle. Then continue on to Tokyo in the evening (3-4 hours).

Day 12-14: Spend two full days in Tokyo and one day in nearby Kamakura. Kamakura is an easy day trip from Tokyo.

Day 15: From Tokyo, make a day trip to Nikko.

Day 16: In the early morning, travel from Tokyo to Ise (3.5 hours) and visit the Ise Shrines. In the late afternoon, return to Nagoya (90 minutes) and spend the evening and night there.

Day 17: In the morning, travel from Nagoya to Takayama (2.5 hours) and spend the afternoon and evening exploring Takayama.

Day 18: Spend most of the day in Takayama. Leave the city in the afternoon for Kanazawa (2.5 hours) and spend the evening and night in Kanazawa.

Day 19: Spend a full day in Kanazawa.

Day 20: Return from Kanazawa to Kyoto and spend the remaining day there.

Day 21: Depart Japan from Kansai Airport.
by JWagner120787  

suggestions 2009/6/8 09:31
First, I would be interested to know at what time of the year you will be traveling, because this could impact different seasonal sights or festivals you might want to see.

Second, I would like to know if you have been to Japan before, and if you have, where you have been. For right now, I'll assume you haven't been there, because it seems like you haven't.

My major suggestion would be to extend your stay in a few of the places where you are only spending one or two days in.

After day 7, I would spend at least one more full day in Osaka. I would also spend one more full day (with a night there) in Hiroshima. I would also spend an extra day in Nagasaki, and possibly a day or two more visiting another place in Kyushu, like one of the volcanoes (Kirishima National Park or Mount Aso) or Beppu hot springs.

I would also spend at least two more full days in Tokyo (for a total of four, not including the side trips). Tokyo is such a large and fun place. You will not run out of things to do in Tokyo.

Another possible place to take a day trip from Tokyo, is Fuji Five Lakes, to see Mt. Fuji and visit the neat lava tube caves (Bat Cave, Wind Cave, and Ice Cave). If you are in Tokyo for about a week, you could keep an eye on the weather forecast (checking online) and go there on a day when it is clear.

You should also extend your stay in Kanazawa by a day, and maybe another day in either Takayama or Nagoya.

As for possible other suggestions, I would try to do more than just see touristy spots. Visit an onsen, rent a bike and ride around in different places where most tourists don't go, see a baseball game, see a concert, go to a festival, try the local food specialties, go to a private room Karaoke place, like Shidax, go to an arcade place, like Leisureland, go to a batting cage or bowling alley, visit a an outdoor market, go hiking somewhere where tourists don't always go. You will enjoy these more authentic experiences, because they will be unique and memorable experiences.

As for other places to visit, I would recommend renting a bike and biking in the Seto Inland Sea:
http://www.japantravelinfo.com/blog/?p=1006

Another place to spend a day at could be Kobe, a beautiful seaside city. I enjoyed the Earthquake Museum and Akishi Kaikyo bridge area.

Another idea would be to choose a town or city that is accessible by train near a place where you will be staying that is not a tourist spot and that is out in an agricultural area. Stay there for a couple days and rent a bike and see what it is like to live in Japan for non-big city people. Relax, and visit shops, parks, stores, restaurants, arcades, bike in suburbs and agricultural areas, etc, and see what life is like for these people. I did this when I stayed with a friend who taught English in Isesaki, in Gunma Prefecture. It was a lot of fun and very interesting.

As far as logistics go, you would need to buy a 3 week JR pass obviously. But since you are staying a month, you would not want the pass to be activated until you head to Hiroshima and Kyushu and then up to Tokyo (after traveling in Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, and Mount Koya).

I would recommend buying multiple Japan travel books and reading up on them. I liked Lonely Planet Japan, Frommer's Japan, Time Out Tokyo, Lonely Planet Hiking In Japan, Exploring Kyoto, Japan Atlas: A Bilingual Guide, Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide, Streetwise Tokyo map, and Day Walks Near Tokyo. You should also familiarize yourself with all the train routes on JR websites. And use this site for train schdules:
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Hope this helps. Let me know when you are going and if you have been to Japan before. Have fun planning!
by Jesse (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm 2009/6/8 13:43
Nope. Can't say I've been to Japan before.
As to when I was going, I was thinking around May/June. I want to go when it isn't too busy with tourists or travel, but at the same time, I want to enjoy Japan to the fullest.

I was planning on staying in a guest house in/near Osaka as my center. Is it better to just look around for guest houses and stuff in different regions, and keep traveling? My plan was to use Osaka guest house [or whatever] as the main, and rent rooms for a night, or two, or three, in regions that would be to inconvenient to travel back to Osaka every night. Does that sound like a solid plan?

Are there any guest houses, or other locations, you recommend staying at? I'd prefer to stay in a rural area with a bit of scenery...

Again, my plans are still being planned out - including the actual travel dates. I was planning to actually enjoy Japan, as you said, rather than just viist tourist spots and such. However, there's a few things I planned to do, such as visit beaches in Okinawa, and climb Mt. Fuji.

Everything else is being planned out.

Thanks for your help!
If you want to, you can e-mail me to help me make my plans. [jwagner120787 (at) gmail (dot) com]
by JWagner120787 rate this post as useful

response 2009/6/9 10:22
Hello JWagner.

As for a time to visit Japan, I've been to Japan only once for three weeks in late March to mid-April of 2007 (and as you can see, I fell in love with Japan). If you want to see Japan to the fullest, I would recommend going very end of March to almost the end of April before Golden Week, so you can see the cherry blossoms. You will experience some crowds in certain areas, but I never experienced any problems. The cherry blossoms are very worth it, and very amazing. Also, if you stay til towards the end of April, you will see most trees (especially in areas from Kansai and south) get their leaves. When I left April 14th, most leaves I saw in that area were opening and would have been open if I had stayed another week or two. If you stay from late March to late April, you will see both the cherry trees and most trees with green on them. If you want to see Japan to the fullest this would be the ideal four weeks to go.

As for staying in guest houses, I do not have experience with that, so I would not be able to give specific advice, but I'm sure someone on this site could help you if you ask that as a separate post. My only advice would be that for the first week when you are in the Kansai region, I would stay near Shin Osaka station (shinkansen goes through there), so that you could easily (with the JR pas) travel to Kyoto, and also easily travel from there to Nara. You'd also be staying in Osaka. Or I would stay near Kyoto station, but it is hard getting lodging close to there especially during cherry blossom season, plus I believe it is more expensive there. Shin Osaka is a really good deal if you have the JR pass and can travel easily to Kyoto (that's what I did).

As for day trips, yes you could make a trip to Mount Koya and stay the night, and you could also day trip to Kobe from Shin Osaka (spelled shinosaka on hyperdia web site). As for the other places, I would recommend basing yourself in Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Tokyo. And if you want to stay in a guest house outside of a major city, that would definitely be a good option to experience daily life. There are many places you could do that at. I would ask that as a new post, for recommendations of where to stay outside of a major city in a guest house to experience rural/semi-rural life.

As for your plan to visit Okinawa, I have not been there, but I know that would probably be at least a 5 day trip to make it worth it, and the domestic flight. If you did this, you would have to trim the itinerary accordingly. As for hiking up Mt. Fuji, the mountain has snow on it most of the year, and the hiking season according to this site, is only July and August:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
So, you would not be able to hike up it in either May or June. In July there is the rainy season, so I assume that many days it is cloudy, so you may not have a good view of the mountain or from the mountain.

If you go in April, I would suggest visiting Fuji Five Lakes (which I did). I made sure it was a clear day when I went, and I really enjoyed the view of the snow-covered mountain. I also enjoyed the lava tube caves near the base of the mountain (Bat Cave, Ice Cave, and Wind Cave). I think the mountain is more beautiful with snow on it, and you are more likely to have clear days in April than July.

There are many other mountains and volcanoes to climb in Japan however. In Kyushu there is Kirishima National Park, where you can hike up many mountains/volcanoes. These may be accessible in late April. See:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4625.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4629.html

Hope this has been helpful. I usually visit this site every day, so don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you have.

Yay! 2009/6/9 10:31
Thank you for your help!
As I said, it's a work in progress. I'm mostly there for a relaxing vacation more than sightseeing, which is why most of my current itinerary is to spend time in southern Japan. Spend a few days in Okinawa, and the rest in southern Japan in areas such as Osaka, Tokyo, etc.

Again, a work in progress. I'll keep in mind what you said about Cherry Blossoms. Do you know when the best time of year would be to go in order to enjoy a plentiful number of Japanese festivals?

festivals web site 2009/6/9 11:17
Hello again!

Here is a web site from about.com that has a lot of links about different festivals:

http://gojapan.about.com/od/japanesefestivals/Japanese_...

Yay! 2009/6/10 03:57
Thanks!
That's the kind of information I was looking for!
Anything else you'd recommend I know/look into/etc before I begin a trip?

reply to this thread