Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip Itinary check and JR Pass 2009/6/7 22:42
Hi would appreciate if I could get a second opinion on my itinary. Am thinking of going in late August - Early September on a return trip to Tokyo.

Day 1 - Arrive at Tokyo. Check in. Visit Asakusa-Kappabashi-Yurakucho alley.

Day 2 - Tsukiji Fish Market - Akihabara - Ameyoko.

Day 3 - Day trip to Nikko/Kamakura/Yokohama.

Day 4 - Tokyo Koenji Awaodori

Day 5 - Travel to Kanazawa. Check in. Visit Chaya Districts.

Day 6 - Kenrokuen - Omocho Market - Nagamachi.

Day 7 - Take Nohi bus to Shirakawa-go (have yet to figure how to reserve). Check in and explore.

Day 8 - Take bus to Takayama. Check in and explore.

Day 9 - Day trip to Matsumoto.

Day 10 - Day trip to Kamikochi.

Day 11 - Travel to Tsumago. Check in and explore.

Day 12 - Hike to Magome. Check in and explore.

Day 13 - Travel to Nagano. Check in. Visit Zenkoji Temple.

Day 14 - Travel to Tokyo. Check in. Visit Shibuya-Shinjuku.

Day 15 - Day trip to Nikko/Kamakura/Yokohama.

Day 16 - Ryogoku-Harajuku

Day 17 - Choose where to go over there.

Day 18 - Return home.

P/s: Do you think a JR Pass 14 days will be the best choice?
by Ropsie  

Not so sure 2009/6/8 19:21
www.hyperdia.com
Use Hyperdia to check individual train trips: there are a few bus days, not covered by JR Pass, in your itinerary..not so sure a 14 day pass will pay off: your individual trips will need to add up to 45100Yen for the pass to be worth it.
by fmj rate this post as useful

suggestion 2009/6/9 04:14
Far too many places..You can't appreciate them if you just zip in/out. On day 15 do you mean seeing Nikko OR Kamakura OR Yokohama?? as there is no way that you can see all 3 . to start with Nikko is in a totally opposite direction from Kamakura/ Yokohama, with Tokyo in between. As it is you can only see SOME of each place in one day To get to know a little bit of the spirit of a country, notice all sorts of minute details about everyday life, you have to SLOW down!
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2009/6/9 12:49
day 3 and 15 are similar?
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Awa-odori 2009/6/9 15:51
The dancing at the Koenji Awa-odori is only in the evening (I think it starts at 6pm)- it's not an all day activity. You might want to arrive at about 4pm or so to eat and wander around a bit, but no earlier than that really, so you need to think of something else for the morning.

I agree with the above- you mean nikko OR Kamakura/Yokohama for day 3, right? Nikko is around 200km from Kamakura!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Lolz... 2009/6/10 02:31
Haha I only roughly estimated the timing of going to each place at a time. But some of the places I have actually been to alrdy so mainly just going there to eat/shop. Seriously, is it really tat fast-paced? I thought it was manageable lol..well, can always change plans when I am there.

Have updated my itinary based on the train timetable, estimated travel timing and my travel style.

Day 1 - Arrive at 0750hrs. Check in. Visit Asakusa, Akihabara and late night visit Yurakucho alley for dinner. (any idea if easier to come out of Hibiya station or Yurakucho Station to walk to there)

Day 2 - Wake up early for Tsukiji Fish market to eat sushi breakfast. Shibuya day shopping and travel to Shinjuku in the evening til late night.

Day 3 - Day trip to Yokohama coz it's super near.

Day 4 - Tokyo Koenji Awaodori.

Day 5 - Travel to Kanazawa. Check in. Visit Omocho Market.

Day 6 - Early morning go to Kenrokuen-Chaya Districts-Nagamachi (if possible).

Day 7 - Travel to Shirakawa-go and check in. Explore. (goin here for the 2nd time)

Day 8 - Travel to Takayama. (been here too) Check in and just find my fav places.

Day 9 - Day trip to Kamikochi. (still lookin for bus timetables)

Day 10 - Travel to Tsumago. Check in and explore.

Day 11 - Hike to Magome. Check in and explore.

Day 12 - Travel to Nagano. Check in. Visit Zenkoji Temple. (only interested in tis)

Day 13 - Day trip to Matsumoto. (faster from Nagano) Visit Matsumoto-jo to compare with Himeji.

Day 14 - Travel to Tokyo. Check in. See Harajuku.

Day 15 - Haha toyin with the idea of overnight trip to Kusatsu Onsen, leavin my bags behind.

Day 16 - Return and visit Ameyoko.

Day 17 - Wake up for Ryogoku to search for chanko nabe. Departing late evening.
by Ropsie rate this post as useful

Tokyo Koenji Awaodori 2009/6/10 02:38
Anyone been to this event? If it's really only gonna start from 6pm, then I'll just drop by Akihabara first then go from there.
by Ropsie rate this post as useful

Takayama-Kamikochi bus 2009/6/10 04:49
Bus from Takayama to Kamikochi requires a transfer in Hirayu Onsen.

Schedule between Takayama and Hirayu Onsen: http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/matsumoto.html

Schedule between Hirayu Onsen and Kamikochi:
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/kamikochi.html
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread