Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 weeks itinerary 2009/6/8 10:33
Hi,
This is my second visit to Japan. I will use 7 day JR pass 15-21 June. Could anyone please help me check my own itinerary? I have booked all the accommodation, I would like to know if I have enough time to visit all those places. Many thanks!

Tokyo 9 Arrive at Shinjuku, Tokyo
10 Tokyo Gov bldg, Harajuku, Meiji Jingu Shrine, Happo-en Edo Romance Gardens - Edo-Tokyo-Museum, Asakusa
11 Yokohama
12 Tsukiji, Ueno park, Tokyo National Museum, Ghibli, Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Ginza
13 Shinjuku Gyoen/park, Shibuya, Koishikawa Korakuen, Rikugien, Institute for Nature Study

Hakone - Mt Fuji - 2 day Hakone Pass
14 Kamakura - Kotoku-in, Hase Kannon Temple ,Hakone National Park
15 Lake Ashi, Komagatake Ropeway- Hakone - shinkansen to hiroshima

Hiroshima
16 Peace Memorial Park ( Hiroshima Genbaku Dome), Floating Torii Gate, world Heritage Itsukushima Shrine and Treasure House
17 Board Shinkansen to Osaka - The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum (osaka), Osaka Castle, shinkansen to Kyoto

Kyoto
18 Golden Pavilion, Imperial Palace, the Nijo Castle and the Heian Shrine
19 nara, higashihoganji temple, Nara Park, Todai-ji Temple, Kasuga shrine, Kofukuji and Yakushiji
20 shinkansen to Tokyo/Asakusa-Tobu line to Nikko
Kegon Waterfalls - Chuzenji Lake – World Heritage Sites: Nikko Toshogu Shrine- Five Story Pagoda -Niomon Gate

Tokyo
21 Disney
22 back to sydney 5pm
by wittydais  

Stressed 2009/6/8 18:41
In all honesty, I get stressed just by looking at you itinarary. But you say you've been to Japan before so maybe you've seen some of the places already? The day you want to see Ueno park, Ghibli, Imperial palace, Odaiba and so on, for me it looks totally crazy. But I guess that depends on how much time you want at all those places. When we were there we wanted to take it slow and see all the places for real. So I think we spent half a day at Odaiba and the same in Ginza (and we were far from seeing everything). So just those two are one day. Plus Ghibli is, what I've heard, (I never been myself) a time consuming trip.

So I would advice you to not fill the days so completely. Choose what you can't miss and make it a bonus if you see more than that. And relax and just enjoy beeing in the fantastic country of Japan. Because I don't know if you have time for that, with that itinarary.
by Magda M (guest) rate this post as useful

it can't happen 2009/6/8 20:04
Tokyo 9 Arrive at Shinjuku, Tokyo
What time???
10 Tokyo Gov bldg, Harajuku, Meiji Jingu Shrine, Happo-en Edo Romance Gardens - Edo-Tokyo-Museum, Asakusa:
Far too much
11 Yokohama
12 Tsukiji, Ueno park, Tokyo National Museum, Ghibli, Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Ginza
Far too much
13 Shinjuku Gyoen/park, Shibuya, Koishikawa Korakuen, Rikugien, Institute for Nature Study
Far too much: too many gardens in one day

You are going back and forth past places you can do together:
Harajuku, Meiji Jingu Shrine,Shibuya, are all in the same area: one other thing maybe this day;?? Tokyo Tower
Tokyo Gov bldg Shinjuku Gyoen/park Koishikawa Korakuen are together: depends on how long you want to spend in a garden:
Rikugien can be a half day easily
Tsukiji,then walk through to Hama Rikyu to the Sumida Gawa river cruise to Asakusa, Ueno park, Tokyo National Museum,
makes more sense

OR

Tsukiji, Ginza, Imperial Palace gardens, Tokyo Tower is a day

Tokyo Edo museum is at least a half day. Tokyo National Museum as well: and its a fair way into Ueno Park, not just at the station: and the Park is huge, and lots to see.

Ghibli, Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower, Odaiba, Ginza: Can't see where they'd fit...Ginza at night is an option

Hakone - Mt Fuji - 2 day Hakone Pass
14 Kamakura - Kotoku-in, Hase Kannon Temple ,Hakone National Park

You have to GET to these places: travel takes time: waiting on stations, and getting to them, all takes up time
Kamakura is a day on its own: you won't do all this is one day

15 Lake Ashi, Komagatake Ropeway- Hakone - shinkansen to hiroshima

Hiroshima
16 Peace Memorial Park ( Hiroshima Genbaku Dome), Floating Torii Gate, world Heritage Itsukushima Shrine and Treasure House
17 Board Shinkansen to Osaka - The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum (osaka), Osaka Castle, shinkansen to Kyoto

The Shinkansen only goes to ShinOsaka: then its a local train to JR Osaka, then onto the castle etc then its a local train (29mins express Platform 8 at JR Osaka station) back to Kyoto:not worth going back to Shin Osaka to get the Shinkansen figure you'll have to leave luggage somewhere: alternative is to go straight to Kyoto, dump luggage and travel back to Osaka

Kyoto
18 Golden Pavilion, Imperial Palace, the Nijo Castle and the Heian Shrine
Leave off Imperial palace: need a reservation, and times are very restrictive: gardens are great in Cherry Blossoms, but I'd add in Ryoanji instead and go from there by JR bus to Nijo-jo

19 nara, higashihoganji temple, Nara Park, Todai-ji Temple, Kasuga shrine, Kofukuji and Yakushiji
20 shinkansen to Tokyo/Asakusa-Tobu line to Nikko
Kegon Waterfalls - Chuzenji Lake – World Heritage Sites: Nikko Toshogu Shrine- Five Story Pagoda -Niomon Gate

Tokyo
21 Disney
22 back to sydney 5pm

Assuming you are on a JR Pass go to Nikko from Tokyo on the Shinkansen via Utsunomia
Alternately, stay in Tokyo to extra days in the beginning, go to Disney, and go to Nikko as a day trip: big day but doable
Then you can go direct from Kyoto to Narita

You really need to cut back on that first stuff in Tokyo: it just can't happen
Try to do a bit less: there is so much more in Kyoto than 1 day:do you need both Ghibli and The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum (osaka),: Osaka castle is OK, but not necessarily worth a detour: that gives you more time in Kyoto

hope this helps:

by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread