Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Keisei and Tokyo transportation 2009/6/8 14:19
We are a family of 4 (2 adults and children age 12 and 15). We will arrive at Narita at 16:30 on a weekday.From Narita we wish to go to our Ryokan near the Nezu Stn.(Chiyoda Line). Will spend the next full day touring Tokyo, then the following day will activate our JR passes to go to Kyoto(we cannot activate JR passes earlier or will expire before return trip fromKyoto). So...my question is what transportation would you recommend for the Narita and Tokyo portion ofour trip? Keisei? Also advice on the specific logistics would also be helpful as it is difficult to understand the system from just from the guidebooks. Your detailed responses to other transportation questions have been very helpful!
by JBEM (guest)  

Keisei + taxi 2009/6/8 16:13
As you are a group of 4, I recommend taxi from keisei Nippori or Ueno station(700yen). Chiyoda line is not well connected to the airport.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Keisei ticket options? 2009/6/8 22:13
Thank you. I had not thought of a taxi and 700 yen for all four of us seems reasonable.Going into more detail,we are trying to travel very economically but also need to take into consideration luggage(on the Narita-Nippori portion), language barriers and inexperience with transport system. Would you recommend the Keisei Skyliner or Limited Express? If Skyliner, is the Skyliner+Metro pass worthwhile or should we look into another kind of ticket combination for our next day of touring Tokyo?Many thanks for your help.
by JBEM (guest) rate this post as useful

Keisei 2009/6/9 21:49
Whether Skyliner or LTD Express depends on your personal preference.

Skyliner is more confortable, relatively fast, and expensive, while LTD Exp. is a bit slower and inexpensive. I think you can find space for your luggage as ordinary commuters travel in the reverse direction even though you travel during evening rush hour.

17:12 Skyliner - 18:15 Ueno
17:25 LTD Exp - 18:45 Ueno
17:34 Skyliner - 18:37 Ueno
17:44 LTD Exp - 19:02 Ueno

(btw, I recommend to take a taxi at Ueno.)

When you choose Skyliner, Skyliner & Metro 1day Pass is a good option since you stay near Tokyo Metro subway station. But you need to check which lines the Metro Pass is valid for. It is valid for 9 out of 13 subway lines in Tokyo.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/ticket/narita.html
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Tokyo transportation 2009/6/10 09:34
: Would you recommend the Keisei Skyliner or Limited Express?

Well, though I've never taken Keisei liners, Skyliner in this case sounds worth additional 920 yen per adult. A Ltd. Express train of Keisei is available at fare only, has no seats with reservation; you'd better have enough time to take seats (before its departure if your station is named "Narita Airport"). Along Keisei Main Line, there are some private junior and senior high schools; trains even in your direction may get crowded with students, commuters or so during evening rush hour.

: We are a family of 4 (2 adults and children age 12 and 15).
: If Skyliner, is the Skyliner+Metro pass worthwhile or should we look into another kind of ticket combination for our next day of touring Tokyo?

This pass does not have kids' rate version, while the tickets are available separately at kids' rate (1,260 yen = 960 yen + 300 yen). Using this pass, an adult gets discount of 420 yen (2,100 yen = 1,920 yen + 600 yen - 420 yen).
If the 12-year-old member's next birthday is 2 April 2010 or comes later, kids' rate will apply at railways until March 2010. To the 15-year-old member, adults' rate applies at railways. (I say more on this later.)
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/keisei_us/html/s...

Rides on Toei subway lines are not covered by the Tokyo Metro Special ticket. If all adults among you get the discount mentioned above, I guess this ticket may be good for your rides within Tokyo Metro (I mean you exit Tokyo Metro through a station's outer gate for transfer to another company line). This ticket requires you on purchase to show something to indicate you have come to Japan by air. I think Common One-day Ticket for Tokyo Metro & Toei Subway (1,000 yen per adult) may result in costing too high for your one-day touring, even if it is regarded as costing 580 yen per adult under the discount.

: Also advice on the specific logistics would also be helpful as it is difficult to understand the system from just from the guidebooks.

Do your subway guidebooks list Fukutoshin Line? I consider data on a page linked from the top page of the same official website as rather trustworthy. You have only one day to tour Tokyo; you may miss the fun if you adventurously try to experience many things at one time. As to transportations in Tokyo, unexpected things may cause confusion. Some subway platforms have doors, some not. Some subway stations separate gates by directions, some not.
I recommend that you research recent data, get up a practicable plan, and never regret until you reach rest place if something doesn't go as scheduled.

As to kids' rate at railways in Japan:
- Presumably, major railway companies have one criterion in common: kids' rate at railways applies to a child for 6 academic years (April - March) including the days by which it fulfills its 7th - 12th years since its date of birth.
- Kids' rate at railways is set for:
fares, Keisei charges for liner services, JR charge for reservation of normal seats, JR charges for Express / Ltd. Express / Shinkansen Superexpress services.
- Kids' rate at railways is NOT set for:
JR charges for liner services / queuing order tickets / Green [first-class] seats / sleeping car beds.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: Common Tokyo subway ticket 2009/6/10 23:49
Sorry, let me correct a mistake on the Common Ticket:
- DELETE
", even if it is regarded as costing 580 yen per adult under the discount"
for it is outside the scope of the combination discount. 1,000 yen per adult may avail you rides for long distance on Tokyo subway. I guess it's better for you to save stamina for Kyoto than to finish the common tickets in touring Tokyo in one day.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread