Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help needed on Hozugawa trip 2009/6/8 15:39
I'm trying to figure out whether I need to book this trip from Kameoka to Arashiyama in advance of my trip.

The website (http://www.hozugawakudari.jp/) isn't giving much away and the only thing I can get is that you should ring that day in case of cancellation. But it doesn't seem to discourage just turning up 15 mins before the boat leaves and jumping on.

Can someone with better Japanese than me (that would be everybody) just check it out? Or if you've taken this trip before, let me know how you arranged it. It's just me, so no tour or anything.
by mgal  

As far as I can read off the website 2009/6/8 22:19
As it seems, if you are not with a group of 10 or more people, no advance booking can be made.

http://www.hozugawakudari.jp/ryoukin.html

According to this page, departures (March 10 to Nov. 30) are at:
9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, and 15:30, but on weekends the boat leaves on somewhat irregular schedule - probably as they get full they might just leave. You just queue up and board. If you have tight planning for the rest of the day, I would probably show up a bit earlier than just 15 minutes prior to departure, but maybe that is ok as well.

Note that they say on Feb. 25 (already past, though) and Sept. 9, 2009, they will be closed for maintenance.
by AK rate this post as useful

Boat 2009/6/9 04:40
Ooh, thanks for the heads up about maintenance. I was aiming for the 9/9, but can easily move it to the 10th, a Thursday so I guess they leave on time. I'm aiming to arrive at the station at half past the hour. Between getting hopelessly lost and the 10 min walk to the pier, I should just about make it :)
by mgal rate this post as useful

I took that tour last year 2009/6/23 04:30
... no booking required! We just showed up, filled in a form, and waited for about 30 minutes before there were available seats in a boat. Everyone seemed to do the same thing.
It was nice to be able to do some sightseeing and rest one's feet at the same time. Being in Kyoto involves loads of walking. :)
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread