Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass / Passport 2009/6/10 06:47
I know I need to show my US passport when I receive my JR pass in Japan. But someone just told me I need to show my passport each time I use it. Is this correct? In the past I have left my passport in the safe when out sightseeing. Will I need to take it with me each day in Japan?

Thanks for any information.
by Carrie K (guest)  

... 2009/6/10 08:37
But someone just told me I need to show my passport each time I use it. Is this correct?

No, it is not correct! In theory, the railway staff could ask you to show your passport at any time, however, in praxis you will almost never have to show the passport except when exchanging the voucher to the actual pass.

In the past I have left my passport in the safe when out sightseeing. Will I need to take it with me each day in Japan?

Yes, it is the law that foreigners always carry their passport with them. This is unrelated to the Japan Rail Pass. If you don't and get stopped by police, it is highly unlikely that you get fined, but it is likely that you will experience inconvenience and time loss.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2009/6/10 08:39
Carrie,

It's not correct. You dont need to show your passport each time entering the station.

But in any case you need to have your passpost with you anytime in Japan.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/6/10 14:01
Ok, thanks. I did not know that. I guess I will be hauling a lot of passports when we are out and about (mine and three kids).

Thanks again for the info. this forum has been such a valuable source of information.

Carrie
by Carrie K (guest) rate this post as useful

without passport? 2009/6/21 20:03
what would happen if i travelled on the shinkansen with my JR pass without bringing my passport? i brang it with me all the time when i was in japan, but i found it a bit of a hassle and burden, worried i would lose it and wish not to bring it with me next time.
by chuts rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/21 21:10
Chuts the staff on the train would probably not ask to see your passport.

However, you are required by law to carry your passport with you at all times, so that's why you will need to carry your passport with you at all times regardless of JR pass or not.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread