Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel Rec? Hilton, Hyatt or Keio ? 2009/6/10 07:24
Hi Uji or anyone else with Tokyo Hotels Info:

Coming to Japan in July. Been looking for hotels in Tokyo. If all 3 of these hotels were the same price, which one would you choose?

Keio Hotel
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo

Would you pay $100 USD more to stay at the Westin Tokyo?

Thanks for all your insights!
by jk (guest)  

... 2009/6/10 08:41
If all 3 of these hotels were the same price, which one would you choose?

Of the three, I like the Keio Plaza best. Location wise and in terms of the atmosphere.

Would you pay $100 USD more to stay at the Westin Tokyo?

No, I did not like the Westin. The service was not at the same level as at the Keio Plaza, although, the rooms were nicer.

I also recommend the Southern Century Tower for great location and relatively nice rooms.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Totally depends on the preference 2009/6/10 09:09
Actually, of the first three, I liked Keio the least, but I must admit that Keio is the one I haven't visited for the longest time.

I loved Westin. So far, it's been my favorite hotel in Tokyo area, although I've only dined there a couple of times and stayed there for only one night. I thought that, having spent a whole night and day there, the service was sincere and I liked the size of the hotel: not too big and not too small.

But most of all, I loved the view at Westin. All four sides of the hotel offer nice views in different ways, while a lot of other hotels offer views only on two or three sides. And even the roof of the entrance, which gets in your way when looking out a window, was kept nice and clean which is not always so in many hotels around the world. Also, unlike the hotels in Shinjuku, Westin is not surrounded by tall buildings yet still walking distance to the station and cozy mall/theater area.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Can you list them from best to least? 2009/6/10 09:15
Uji or anyone else:

Can you list for favorite from top to bottom.

I've heard the location is great for the Keio but I'm scared the rooms might be old and outdated. Is this true? How are the rooms compared to Hilton Tokyo and Hyatt Regency?

I do agree that the Westin Tokyo looks great from pictures!

Thanks everyone!
by jk (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/10 17:00
I have not stayed at the Hilton. Only visited it to eat. The low and small entrance hall did not give me a good first impression. Furthermore, the location is the least convenient of the three hotels.

I stayed at the Hyatt 12 years ago, so it is difficult for me to judge. I have good memories, but the location is not convenient.

The Keio Plaza has, indeed, some older rooms, but there are also several floors with recently renewed rooms. They might be more expensive, though. Mainly because of the better location, I prefer it to the other two.

How are the rooms compared to Hilton Tokyo and Hyatt Regency?

I think that the difference between rooms within each hotel is greater than the difference between hotels.

I am afraid, I don't have enough experience at staying at each hotel in order to compare them properly.

As for the Westin, maybe I just did not have a lucky day with the reception personal. I only stayed one night.

hotels 2009/6/10 17:34
Are we talking about the Hilton Nishi Shinjuku? I stayed there a few years ago and loved it. We had booked a regular room at a discounted rate but we arrived very late as our plane had been rerouted to another airport (we called the hotel as soon as we landed). Hilton gave us a suite that was 1/2 Japanese (entrance, small sitting room, bedroom--with futons at night-- and a traditional type bathroom with shower and tub in one room, vanity in one another, toilet in a 3rd one) and 1/2 western with a huge living room (that had a sitting room area, a dining area and a desk) and a powder room. We were expecting to be moved to our regular room the day after but weren't and stayed there for several days, still at the discounted price. That suite was way bigger than my apartment! P.S. cheap me usually stay at a Toyoko inn....
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

HYATT 2009/6/10 22:34
the hyatt is the way to go :)
by Kie (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/10 23:00
Don't confuse the Hyatt Regency with the nearby Park Hyatt.

Trip Advisor 2009/6/11 00:28
Check http://www.tripadvisor.com for information, pictures and reviews of hotels. It is one of the best sources around for hotel information.

Keio Plaza Hotel http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066457-d30430...

Hyatt Regency http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066457-d30732...

Hilton http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066457-d30428...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Hilton Shinjuku 2009/6/11 11:07
Hilton Shinjuku was really nice when I stayed there. A nice little cozy hotel that is big enough to have branches world-wide.

I once stayed there back in the 80s and another time just a couple of years ago, and the quality of the rooms hadn't changed. The last time I went, they had accomodated a band of extremely famous jazz musicians, so you know the quality is at least up to a certain level.

I didn't talk to the staff much, but the last time I went, the musicians were secured in a wall-less corner of their bar where they were able to party in private, so I suppose they do a good job in making sure their guests are comfortable.

The thing about hotels in Shinjuku is that they are far away from the station where the shops and restaurants are. Most people use the shuttle buses. That is a good thing if you're seeking privacy, though. Also Shinjuku is a very busy place, so if you prefer to stay there, you might as well stay far away from the station where it's quieter. Personally, I'm not that interested in Shinjuku. Shinjuku attracts tourists than it does residents of Tokyo.

I thought I'd just add. 2009/6/11 11:09
I'm from Tokyo, btw.

reply to this thread