Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent residence of Japan. 2009/6/10 09:27
I would like to take up residence in Japan. However, I am non-Japanese. What are the procedures I would have to go through in order to be able to live there permanently. Also, what are the benfits of being a Citizen of Japan.
by Yash (guest)  

Permanent residence 2009/6/10 10:34
Yash,

What are the procedures I would have to go through in order to be able to live there permanently?

You don't mention where you are currently living (Japan?) or what your current visa status is, but have you read the information provided on this website?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html

Also, what are the benfits of being a Citizen of Japan.

The right to vote. That's about all.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

I live in America. 2009/6/12 11:54
I live in America, and I am pretty young 14 years or so.
by Yash (guest) rate this post as useful

One last thing: 2009/6/12 11:57
I did read that, but it didn't answer my question. Do i go to the embassy in my area, or do i have to go to Japan and get my visa there. Thanks in advance -Yash
by Yash (guest) rate this post as useful

Moving to Japan 2009/6/12 12:42
Yash, you cannot just pick up and move to Japan and become a permanent resident or citizen. You are pretty young, so lots of time to think about this yet, but when you first come to Japan you will need to come as a student or have a job already arranged (for this work visa you need to have graduated university).

Once you have been in Japan for a number of years on one of these visas (10 years, or shorter if you are married to a Japanese citizen) you can apply for permanent residence. Some years after that, you can apply to be a citizen.

If you have a Japanese parent then you may be entitled to residence or citizenship- is this the case for you?

In any case, we have written a lot about this topic on this site, so look at the A-Zs and Living in Japan section for previous discussions on this topic.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

How to get citizenship 2009/8/18 01:30
You do NOT need PR in Japan to naturalize. This is a common misconception. You can go directly to becoming a citizen from a work, spouse or other visa.
by hsakakibara1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread