Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone - Gotemba 2009/6/16 03:33
Hi,

I will be doing the Hakone - Gotemba trip in a day but I need some help regarding the most cost efficient way to do so

Shinjuku @ 7am - Plan to take the Romancecar for the bullet train experience.

Hakone-Yumoto to Gora by railway
to Souzan by cablecar
to Owakudani by ropeway ( a walk to the volcanic zone)
to Togendai continue with ropeway
to Hakone machi to Moto Hakone by boat ( to visit the shrine)
and on my way to Gotemba and this is where I get struck
1) do I take the boat and then ropeway back to Togendai to take the bus
2) Is there any direct bus from Moto Hakone to Gotemba or Togendi

From Togendi then take Odakyu bus to Gotemba

Should I purchase the Hakone free pass or it is cheaper by individual payment as I will be only staying for a day pass?
If I purchase the Hakone free pass does it cover the trip from Gotemba back to Shinjuku?
If not that means I will have to purchase the JR Kanto Bus back to Shinjuku right?

Please help

Thanks
by Kastine (guest)  

... 2009/6/16 08:16
Plan to take the Romancecar for the bullet train experience.

The Romancecar is not a bullet train!

There is no direct transportation from Moto-Hakone to Gotemba. You would have to backtrack by ship to Togendai and catch the Odakyu bus from there or travel by bus via Miyanoshita (Hotel-mae bus stop) and Sengoku.

Instead, I recommend the following route:

Hakone-Yumoto - (bus) - Moto-Hakone - (boat) - Togendai - (ropeway) - Owakudani - (ropeway/cablecar) - Gora - (bus) - Gotemba Outlet

There are a small number of direct buses from Gora to the outlet:
http://www.hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/pdf/13505-001001.pdf

Otherwise, two transfers of buses are required along the way.

The Hakone Free Pass for use from Odawara probably pays off. But the free pass is not valid on buses between Gotemba and Tokyo. Therefore, a free pass, that includes the round trip, does not pay off.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Uji 2009/6/16 13:12
Dear Uji

Thanks for your fast reply.

Can I just confirm with you my understanding on this matter.

I will follow your suggested route. It does that I will only not be riding the tozan train right?

Does it means that if I am getting the Hakone freepass then I should not ride the romancecar to fully maximise the freepass.

The bus from Gora to Gotemba is cover in the freepass right?

My worries for not getting the bus is that I will always have to find loose change for the bus ticket etc(which can be messing onboard the bus)Is it difficult to purchase the single ticket as I believe most people will be using the freepass.

Can you recommend me the best way of transport I should take from Shinjuku - Hakone - Gotemba - Shinjuku.

I will strictly follow your kind advice.

Thanks

by kastine (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/16 15:36
It does that I will only not be riding the tozan train right?

If you wish to ride the train, you can take it from Hakone-Yumoto to Miyanoshita and transfer to a bus to Moto-Hakone there.

Does it means that if I am getting the Hakone freepass then I should not ride the romancecar to fully maximise the freepass.

Because you plan to return from the outlet directly to Tokyo, I recommend to get a free pass, which does not include the round trip (because the buses between the outlet and Tokyo are not covered). So, you would be paying separately for the train to Hakone. The Romance Car is about 700 yen more expensive than the regular trains.

The bus from Gora to Gotemba is cover in the freepass right?

Yes.

My worries for not getting the bus is that I will always have to find loose change for the bus ticket etc(which can be messing onboard the bus)Is it difficult to purchase the single ticket as I believe most people will be using the freepass.

Indeed, the convenience of not having to pay separately for each single ride, is another major advantage of the pass.

Hakone Free pass 2009/6/16 19:31
Hi Uji,

Thanks for your advice. I will not take the romancecar then.

That means I will have to take JR to Odawara then purchase the Hakone pass there right?

To fully maximise the Hakone pass, are you saying that I should not take the direct bus from Gotemba back to Shinjuku but go back Hakone.

Sorry for the silly question

Thanks

... 2009/6/17 09:42
That means I will have to take JR to Odawara then purchase the Hakone pass there right?

No, there are other options, as well, e.g. express trains along the Odakyu Line. The options are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

To fully maximise the Hakone pass, are you saying that I should not take the direct bus from Gotemba back to Shinjuku but go back Hakone.

No. There are two types of Hakone Free Pass. One that includes a round trip from Tokyo, and the other that does not. For the round trip part, only trains between Shinjuku and Hakone are covered, while the bus between the outlet and Tokyo are not.

So, because you plan to return from the outlet by bus to Tokyo, you should use a free pass that does not include the round trip.

The Hakone Free Pass is explained in more details below:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Thanks 2009/6/17 09:48
Uji

Thanks. I really appreaciate your help.

As I am always thinking of riding the romancecar therefore I am always looking at the package that include the ride to & fro.

Can I just check if eating the railway bento in the train is always allow and in all types of trains as I want to try the bento boxes. Thinking of trying it during my daytrip to Otaru from Sapporo or Furano.

Thanks

... 2009/6/17 18:16
As I am always thinking of riding the romancecar therefore I am always looking at the package that include the ride to & fro.

Then it is cheaper to buy the Hakone Free Pass without round trip and buy Romance Car tickets separately.

Can I just check if eating the railway bento in the train is always allow and in all types of trains as I want to try the bento boxes.

Eating on trains is only recommended on trains with seats facing forward. That includes long distance trains and the Romance Car, but it does not include regular commuter trains, such as the JR and Odakyu local trains between Tokyo and Odawara. It is not recommended on the trains between Sapporo and Otaru. But it is okay on the limited express trains between Sapporo and Furano.

Uji 2009/6/19 15:23
Dear Uji,

Can you help me see if my understanding of Hakone Free pass is right for my journey to Hakone - Gotemba - Shinjuku(by bus)

Single Trip by RomanceCar - JPY 2020 (ticket + romancecar) +
Hakone Freepass w/out round trip - JPY 3900 +
Gotemba to Shinjuku ticket - JPY 1630
=Total JPY 7550

Hakone Freepass round trip - JPY 5000 + Romancecar(870 JPY) + Odakyu Gotemba Bus(850 JPY)
JPY 6720

Which means eventhough I did not utilise the the returning trip on the Hakone Freepass, it is still cheaper than buying everything separately.

Of course, ideally now I am thinking of backtracking from Gotemba to Hakone then take the normal train instead of the romancecar back to Shinjuku.

Thanks

by Kastine (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/19 16:49
Single Trip by RomanceCar - JPY 2020 (ticket + romancecar) +
Hakone Freepass w/out round trip - JPY 3900 +
Gotemba to Shinjuku ticket - JPY 1630
=Total JPY 7550

Note that you can save 300 yen on the Romance Car ticket to Hakone, because the section between Odawara and Hakone-Yumoto is already inside the area covered by the Hakone Free Pass. Either you buy your free pass in Shinjuku before departure (not sure whether it can be bought in Japan) or you get off in Odawara, buy the free pass and continue on to Hakone-Yumoto.

Also, you can save 90 yen (and possibly some time) by boarding the highway bus back to Shinjuku at Tomei-Gotemba instead of Gotemba Station.

Hakone Freepass round trip - JPY 5000 + Romancecar(870 JPY) + Odakyu Gotemba Bus(850 JPY)
JPY 6720

Why do you have only 850 yen for the Gotemba Bus? Shouldn't it be 1540 yen?

So, according to my calculation version 1 (7160 yen) wins over version 2 (7410 yen) by 250 yen.

Of course, ideally now I am thinking of backtracking from Gotemba to Hakone then take the normal train instead of the romancecar back to Shinjuku.

That would be a time-consuming detour.

Uji 2009/6/19 17:15
(Why do you have only 850 yen for the Gotemba Bus? Shouldn't it be 1540 yen?)

Odakyu informed me that with the purchase of Hakone pass, the Gotemba ticket can be discounted to 850 JYP.

Therefore, do you think I should still purchase the round trip and just waste the round trip back to Shinjuku?

I am still puzzled why the freepass is more cheaper.

Thanks.

... 2009/6/19 17:49
Odakyu informed me that with the purchase of Hakone pass, the Gotemba ticket can be discounted to 850 JYP.

I was not aware of that discount. In that case, it tips the balance in favor of the round trip pass, indeed.

Furano Kururu Pass 2009/6/19 17:54
Uji,

Is the Furano Kururu Pass available for use on the "Lavender go bus"

Is it the pass to move around Furano area.

Thanks

... 2009/6/20 08:41
It is not valid on any bus except the Kururu Bus:
http://www.furano-kankou.com/kururu_eng.pdf

reply to this thread