Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto day trips 2009/6/17 09:10
Hi,
I'll be based in Kyoto and plan to see Himeji castle,Hiroshima,Nara,Osaka in 2 separate day trips. I plan to combine them as Himeji/Hiroshima, and Nara/osaka. Is this the best way to do it or is there a better way? I only want to see Osaka in evening/night. I'll arrive at Himeji stn at 9am,see the castle,catch the 10.52am for Hiroshima, arriving there at about 12pm. Is this sufficient time? Also I read Himeji castle will undergo renovation this autumn. Will I be affected? I'll be there about 5/9.Thank you very much.
by kum (guest)  

not really 2009/6/17 12:46
Himeji and Hiroshima on the same day is a bit much, if not impossinble. My preference would be for a long day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajiyma, and then a day for Nara and Osaka. Nara and Osaka Castle are possible in the day if you travel at a fast pace and only see the major Todaiji at Nara. I'm not sure about the restoration works at Himeji: but you won;t have time to see it with your itinerary if you wish to go to Hiroshima as well.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Himeji Renovation 2009/6/17 14:59
Thanks for your advice!
According to this site, the renovation work will begin in Oct and will last 5-6 years.
http://www.visitkansai.com/lets_go/item.php?no=30
by kum (guest) rate this post as useful

Himeji Castle 2009/6/17 21:07
by William5 rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/17 21:50
How sad that they will put that big building next to the castle, that will ruin the view and no more movies shot there. thanks for the info.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Himeji station 2009/6/17 22:33
I might do Himeji castle on a separate trip. Are there any lockers in the Himeji station to keep your luggage?

. 2009/6/18 05:18
I think that big building you are complaining about is the sheltered scaffolding that will only surround the castle while the restoration work is being done.

The shame would be to not do the work and have the castle fall into disrepair.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/18 08:30
Yes, there are lockers at Himeji Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hiroshima and Miyajima 2009/6/18 10:59
Hi Fmj,
You said Hiroshima and Miyajima can be done in a day from Kyoto. It is high tide about 10.00am when we are there. So if we see the floating torii first then spend 6 hrs in Hiroshima is it do-able? We just want to see the Hiroshima atomic memorials etc. Or else we can arrive 3 days earlier and spend 1 night in Hiroshima first. In this case the high tide will be about 7 am. Thank you.

Hiroshima 2009/6/18 13:05
Going to Hiroshima and Miyajima as a daytrip from Kyoto is possible on a tight schedule.

6 hrs. for Hiroshima should be more than enough. You don't need much time for the Atomic Dome since you can't go inside. After taking some photos. of the Dome, a short walk cross one of the bridges will bring you to the Peace Park. The Park has various monuments and the museum. How much time you spend there really depends on how involved you're in the matter. But 2-3 hrs. would be quite enough even if you go into details inside the museum.
by William5 rate this post as useful

10am 2009/6/18 17:27
Hi Kum
I would recommend timing it to arrive at Miyajima by 10am if you can: it will be an early start from Kyoto but worth it, and the Shinkansens are so good you won't notice it: you'll have time to go up the ropeway to Mt Misen and then a few hours in Hiroshima: I agree, 2-3 hours is all you will need: so have a nice lunch somewhere: Miyajima is famous for oysters, Hiroshima for okonomiyaki:
by fmj rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/6/18 17:42
thank you very much for the advice.

reply to this thread