Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Line 2009/6/18 14:22
We need some help. We are going to Japan for 12 days. Two adults/Two kids. Here is our itenerary.

Tokyo (Shinjuku) - Toyko (Disneyland)
Tokyo (Shinjuku) - Kyoto Main Station
Kyoto - Osaka (don't have to take JR) day trips one or two days
Kyoto - Narita International airport

We plan to buy 7 days pass, is this a good idea? what is the difference between Green Line and Regular line? Regular line do we still get to reserve seats for the two long trips,(1) Tokyo to Kyoto and (2) Kyoto to Narita International Airport. Thanks in advance for help and advice!
by shoeman (guest)  

... 2009/6/18 15:19
We plan to buy 7 days pass, is this a good idea?

Yes, if you complete the round trip between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto within 7 days, it is a good idea.

what is the difference between Green Line and Regular line?

Do you mean green cars and regular cars? Green car is first class with some extra luxury (more space, nicer seats). Regular car is just a regular car.
by Uji rate this post as useful

green v regular 2009/6/18 17:40
Yes with a JR Pass you can reserve seats for no extra cost in regular cars and Narita express: don't bother with a Green car pass: the regular cars are fine, and the extra cost is not worth it, as very few trains actually have Green Cars
by fmj rate this post as useful

JR 14 days Pass 2009/6/19 00:01
Can we use a 14 days JR pass to travel from Narita Int'l Airport all the way to Hiroshima, and return from there and stop at Osaka, Kyoto, Yokohama, Tokyo in between and finally back to Narita Airport? Can we use it on buses too while in above cities?

Your advice on above would be greatly appreciated.

by mtay rate this post as useful

yes 2009/6/19 06:20
A 14 day pass will probably pay off, especially if you use it to and from Narita, and around Tokyo. It is also vaIid for the train and ferry to Miyajima from Hiroshima. I would suggest returning to Tokyo and going to Yokohama from there, and staying in one of Kyoto or Osaka and traveling to and fro. The pass will not help you with buses, although there is a JR bus in Kyoto which goes from the station to Nijo Castle and Ryoanji:

Thank you. 2009/6/19 10:33
Dear fmj,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Yes, I think it makes sense for us just to stay in Tokyo and travel to and fro to Yokohama so that we don't have to move to different hotels all the time, same as Kyoto or Osaka.
Some more questions.
If we just buy a 7 day pass and allows us to reach Tokyo, and buy single fare tickets within tokyo for the next 5 days and another ticket to Narita airport, do you think we will save around 5000 yen?
How much will it cost for a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Mt Fuji, and what is the station name for Mt Fuji?
Thank you.

?? 2009/6/19 17:26
If we just buy a 7 day pass and allows us to reach Tokyo, and buy single fare tickets within tokyo for the next 5 days and another ticket to Narita airport, do you think we will save around 5000 yen?
Are you changing your itinerary?
You need the 7 day pass to get to and from Osaka/Kyoto, and you should use it to go BACK to Narita. The Suica Nex package can only be used FROM Narita, and not only covers the cost of the trip from Narita to Tokyo it also includes subways: if you plan your destinations in Tokyo appropriately for subways it may well give you enough trips in Tokyo before you activate the JR Pass. Can't see 5000Y savings.

:) 2009/6/19 17:55
Thank you, fmj.
My plan is like this.
Activiate the JR pass at Narita airport and go all the way to Hiroshima, stay 2 nights there and 4 nights in Osaka, on the 7th day transfer to Tokyo.
If I buy only the 7 day pass, which means the rest of the days I will have to buy single trip fares for the next 5 days plus one ticket to Narita on the 14th day.
Will this make a big savings than if I were to buy a 14 day pass? Or I should just stick to a 14 day pass and save all the trouble?
Regards.

Sorry! 2009/6/19 18:49
Dear mtay I am so VERY sorry: I totally confused you with the OP:
yes, your plan is doable, and cost effective, although you won't see much of Kyoto if you plan on being back in Tokyo via Hiroshima in 7 days..getting to, and checking in and out of, hotels all takes time...if you change to an extra day in Osaka/Kyoto then the 14 day pass is worth it. It is a hassle buying individual tickets in Tokyo all the time; it does add time each trip: as a tourist if you are making lots of trips each day it can slow you down. However, if you also alter the order of your trip and do Tokyo first then a Suica Nex and 7 day pass may be an option.Again, apologies.

Thank you. 2009/6/20 01:06
Dear fmj,
Thanks for you reply and kind advice.
Yeah, I think I will stick to the 14 days Pass to make things easier.
Do you feel that 3 days are not sufficient to explore major attractions in Kyoto? Maybe we should just stay in Kyoto instead by paying a little more so that we can save the travelling time.
Regards.

reply to this thread