Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

nande, naze, doushite 2009/6/19 17:51
Very simple question I take it. I'd just like to know if there's any difference between the usage of these three words, and if there is any situation in which one can be used and not the other. Examples would be great too. Thanks.
by Zyzzyva (guest)  

どうして、なぜ、なんで 2009/6/20 14:29
As it's been explained to me before (by a native and a JP major), どうして (doushite) is a more like "how come?" than "why?", that is, it has a slightly less formal feel. Also IIRC, you can say どうしても (doushitemo) but not なぜも or なんでも (nazemo & nandemo), or at least not with the same meaning on the latter.

That's about the limit of my (hopefully correct) knowledge, so I'll leave the rest for others to fill in.
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/20 14:47
I agree that "doushite" is like "how come?" but the meaning is the same as "naze" and "nande," just like you use "why?" and "how come?" interchangeably in English. I'd say "nande" and "doushite" are a bit more informal than "naze." "Naze" can sound very pointed if used in casual conversation (depending on the tone, of course, though) as if questioning the other person.

I would not bring up "doushitemo" here - because this comes from a different origin "dou shite mo," (no matter how we do it = no matter what), so of course adding "-mo" to other two words would not have the same meaning.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/22 11:49
I would not bring up "doushitemo" here - because this comes from a different origin "dou shite mo," (no matter how we do it = no matter what), so of course adding "-mo" to other two words would not have the same meaning.

heh, my grammar professor told us it was the same one :(
Sometimes.....

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread