Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alien Card/city hall confusion 2009/6/20 18:13
hi

i will be moving to japan in july i will be staying in Nakano-ku so this means i will have to apply for my alien card at Nakano-ku city hall or shinjuku? also if it is Nakano-ku where i have to register does this mean i can still participate in things that the shinjuku chity hall offers? (such as language classes)

please help

many thanks

Becky
by Becky (guest)  

... 2009/6/21 12:41
You should register yourself in the city ward in which you are residing. In your case Nakano-ku and not Shinjuku-ku. Nakano-ku probably has similar language services to their foreign residents than Shinjuku-ku. If not, it might not be impossible for you to join the Shinjuku one, but I am not sure in that:
http://www.city.tokyo-nakano.lg.jp/en/index.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

ward office or metro govt? 2009/6/21 13:14
If by "Shinjuku city hall" you mean the Tokyo Metropolitan Government offices in west Shinjuku, then yes, as a Tokyo resident you can take part in anything that they offer to the public.

If it is the Shinjuku ward office that you mean, then no- you will be a Nakano ward resident so mostly likely anything offered to residents by the Shinjuku ward office will not be available to you. You may find that the Nakano ward office has similar offerings though.

I live near Nakano- it's a convenient area to live in.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/6/21 15:35
thanks everyone for your help i foun this regarding the classes.... Those whose first language is not Japanese and who feel a need to speak Japanese in everyday life. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of vacancies, then those who live, work or go to school in Shinjuku City will be given priority. However, those of junior high school age or younger are not eligible to join the class.

so if they have space looks like i can go

thanks all
x
by Becky (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/21 15:38
Nakano Ku should offer similar classes for it's foreign residents, many large cities have those programs running. So I don't see why you want to limit yourself to just Shinjuku, which is a very large ward with many people in it, so it is not suprising that Shinjuku-ku residents would get priority over other residents, the same would go for Nakano or any other place.

Alternately, many Japanese language schools offer night courses 2-3 times a week if you work during the day time.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread