Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

travelling to Japan on my own 2009/6/20 21:57
hi people, I know this question has been posted before, but I would really like to have an answer to my specific question.

I was thinking of travelling alone to Japan in january 2010 for about 3 weeks. I have been to Tokyo before, so I now how everything works. I'm kind of concerned if I'll get lonely, because I'm a pretty shy person (I have the syndrom of Asperger). Apart of that, usually I'm able to get along with myself very well and amuse myself, but I don't know if that will also be the case in such a different situation (a journey in Japan).

I'm planning to fly to Osaka, then visit Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo and fly back from Narita. Also I will probably stay at guesthouses, that will be more fun then sitting in a hotel.

I hope someone here will be able to give me some more information on this topic and perhaps other people who also have the syndrom of Asperger who have travelled to Japan (I know that would be pretty coincidential)?

By the way I am a soon to be 19-year old girl :)
by bandita (guest)  

... 2009/6/21 18:48
Hi Bandita,

I dont have Aspergers syndrome but I know a little bit about it. I obviously dont know you personally but thought I would try and give a couple of ideas. You might have already thought of these things though.

There are plenty of things to do in Japan (as Im sure you know!) so perhaps you could plan a fairly structured itinerary so you have lots of things organised to see and do to keep you busy. This would ensure you arent just sitting around and getting bored and lonely.

I think staying in guesthouse type accommodation is a good idea. Perhaps the type where you have your own room but there are communal areas like a lounge and kitchen. This way you can have the opportunity to meet people but also your own space if youfre not feeling comfortable.

I guess you are the best person to judge how you will go travelling alone in Japan, or perhaps talk to your family and see what their ideas are.

I wish you all the best, Im sure you will be able to find a way to make solo travel work for you :)
by AusEz rate this post as useful

re 2009/6/21 19:24
Thanks AusEz! I also talked about it with my family and they thought it would be a good experience for me to become independent and meet new people and they said: you are only young once. I think they are right and as long as I have people to share my thoughts with I probably wont get lonely. Guess ill be busy planning my trip these next months :)
by bandita (guest) rate this post as useful

alone but not lonely 2009/6/22 03:32
I have travelled alone in many countries, including Japan, and didn't find it a problem. Now that I am well over 50 I find it easier to talk to people but before, even thought I am a chatty person at home and work, I didn't feel comfortable at all talking to total strangers--even in my own country--. I never felt lonely because there is always so much to do and see while travelling. .
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/6/22 07:18
Bandita I admire your sense in asking about this: you sound very thoughtful with your travel plans, and I think you will have an amazing time.
I am also very shy with strangers, and also travelled alone in my early 20's (also well over 50 now)and found social companions when staying in hostels in Europe very easily.
Fellow travelers just LOVE to swap tales, and hints, about their travels, and with the digital camera age looking at photos is wonderful as well. Make sure to ask others to take photos of you at various places.
Guest houses are a very good idea
Also, with all there is to see and do in Japan, it can be exhausting: make sure you get enough food and sleep!!!
AusEz: you make me very proud of young Australians.
by fmj rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/6/23 15:41
thank you also Monkey see and fmj, you give me hope. im going to the library today to get some travelling books :)
by bandita (guest) rate this post as useful

Advice 2009/6/23 16:16
Hello.
One of my friends has aspergers, so i think i understand a bit of what kind of difficulty you may be worried about.
You say you have been in Tokyo before. If you have a generel understanding about how things work in Tokyo, then it wont cause a problem to travel to other places, and people in other areas of Japan are maybe more known for being more friendly than in Tokyo.
In case you are worried about not having social connections with the different big cities in Japan, you could try making a profile on www.couchsurfing.org, and set up meetings with locals or other foreigners. I have myself been a member for 2 years, and have helped travellers understand and enjoy life in Copenhagen, Denmark. There are also many members in Japan, and you could explain on your profile what it means to live with aspergers syndrome. Couchsurfing is all about meeting people from a different culture. And you dont have to offer a couch yourself or stay at peoples couches to be member. Many members are just happy about meeting for a coffee or a drink.
Hope this helps.
You are welcome to write to me at andy_n_johansen@hotmail.com and ask more if you wish.
by Andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Hey there =) 2009/6/24 21:29
Hey there,

I am coming to Japan by myself as well. I am not at all experienced because this is the first time for me as well. And just thinking about being alone at the airport scares me!!

However, I am here to tell you that I wish you the best luck on your upcoming trip and you will always have my support though we do not exactly know where each other is ;-)
by Damita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread