Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My itinerary with 3 weeks of JR railpass 2009/6/22 06:40
Hi fellow travellers

I'm going to Japan in july.

I have already bought a 3 week JR pass wich I of course want to get the most out of.

This is my Itinerary. Comments are most appreciated:

1. Copenhagen flight via Austria.
2. Arriving Tokyo (staying in Tokyo)
3. Tokyo TO Himeji seightseeing TO Nagasaki (3:40 + 4:33) START of JR railpass
4. Nagasaki
5. Nagasaki TO Fukuoka (1:47)
6. Fukuoka TO Beppu (1:53)
7. Beppu TO Hiroshima Sightseeing (2:25)
8. Hiroshima TO Miya Jima (overnight or daytrip)
9. (Miyajima TO) Hiroshima TO Okayama TO Uno TO NaoShima (1:57) plus ferry 20 min.
10. Naoshima
11. Naoshima TO Kyoto (2:25)
12. Kyoto
13. Kyoto sightseeing
14. Kyoto TO Mount Koya (staying at a temple) (2:34)
15. Mount Koya TO Kanazawa (5:21)
16. Kanazawa TO Takayama (2:22)
17. Takayama TO Nagoya (sumo wrestling) (2:26)
18. Nagoya TO Hakone (1:42)
19. Hakone
20. Hakone TO Nagano (2:50)
21. Nagano TO Sendai TO Matsoshima (3:30)
22. (Matsushima TO) Sendai TO Nikko (2:34)
23. Nikko TO Tokyo getting our trekking gear TO Kawaguchiko TO Kawaguchiko 5th station TO Climbing Mt. Fuji (1:58) plus (2:25) and 55 min. bus (LAST day of railpass)
24. Mt. Fuji TO Kawaguchiko TO Tokyo (55 min bus) and (2:12) or maybe bus the whole way - guess my raillpass is all over by now.
25. Tokyo
26. Tokyo
27. Tokyo
28. Tokyo TO Copenhagen.

Thanx and happy travelling to you all

Troltuu
by troltuu  

hi 2009/6/23 05:09
Is there a reason why you land and take off from Tokyo only.

In many times it possible to land at Osaka and take off at Tokyo, or otherway.

by Doron rate this post as useful

well 2009/6/23 05:23
I did more checking on your plans..

some comments.

I think it might be better if you could land at Osaka first, spend some days at Kyoto and then move to Kyushu and back to tokyo via the alps.

You have to realize how far is Himeji from Tokyo, and How far is Nagasaki from Himeji. When you get to Hakata( Fukuka) you are getting off the bullet train. If i remember right it's two hours from Hakata to Nagasaki.

You planned a long trip on your second day in Japan. If you haven't been to Japan before it might take more than a day to get used to the very efficient transport system.

If you still thinking of leaving tokyo on the second day. don't go too far as much as Nagasaki.
Maybe make a stop on the way. Like Hiroshima and miyajima after himeji. Then travel to Hakata, Nagasaki and Beppu.

sorry 2009/6/23 05:50
my laptop is useless..

I wanted to say that if i'm to be sorry for something in my trip plans is that i spent only one night at Nagasaki and Beppu.

I checked Hyperdia. it's 95% right. You can travel from Nagasaki to Beppu at four hours. I think it would be shame to miss Aso san on the way.

And actually think that Kyoto might be a place that the JRP won't be most efficient. It's better to get there on the first days, maybe to land at Osaka - if it still possible. If not, leave it that way.

I am not sure how far is Hakone from kawaguchi..but it's not far as i recall. I'm not sure how differs they are.

I admit i did miss sumo wrestling at Osaka..big mistake. Do not miss the Sumo at Nagoya. Many told me that they went for the whole day! and went early to buy the ticket. Tip for ya.. some of them told me that they were allowed to sit next to the ring in off-peak hours! for a cheap ticket price. You would have to leave takayama very early - get the train ticket day before.

I also went from Kawaguchiko to Sendai. it was some trip. I did like Sendai, stayed at a great hostel-japanese style.

Anyway, don't worry for covering up the expense of the JRP. if you travel to Nagasaki and Sendai, you'll cover it up. I did a bit more travelling and saved with the pass a sum of 500-600$.

reply to this thread