Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Info about Zao 2009/6/22 18:13
Hi,

I'll be going to Zao Quasi National Park this August and I have a few questions about it.

First of all, I read that in the summer, particularly in August, Lake Okama is often not visible due to cloud cover. If we aren't able to see the lake, is the trip still worth taking?

Second, should Zao be a day trip from Sendai, or should we try to overnight there?

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.
by Bob (guest)  

... 2009/6/23 17:11
Zao Onsen has great sulfur hot spring baths. I think they alone are worth an overnight trip if you are considering to visit that region of Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Okama 2009/6/23 20:33
I read that in the summer, particularly in August, Lake Okama is often not visible due to cloud cover.

Really? I didn't know that. When I first climbed Mt. Zao up to Okama in August, I was probably lucky to see the beautiful lake clearly. Though in the second climb in May, unfortunately it was invisible due to thick cloud, it was quite predictable from the cloudy sky on that day.

Of course the climate around the top of the mountains is often very changeable but why don't you check the local weather forecast and go on a very fine day?

And it can be a daytrip from Sendai if you use the ropeway or driveway to go there.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

Zao 2009/6/23 22:25
I too have doubt about going to Zao Onsen during summer. We went for the Juhyo snow monsters in winter and were disappointed as the weather was not cold enough and no snow monsters were to be found. A friend went during autumn. He saw beautiful Lake Okama with the added bonus of spectacular autumn foliage on the mt. slope during the cable-car ride. He also enjoyed a dip at the Dai-rotemburo open-air onsen. It seems that autumn is a better time to visit the place.
To go to Lake Okama, you don't have to go to Zao Onsen, you can go there by bus from Yamagata though the bus will make a stop in Zao. As for onsen experience, there are other more attractive places in the Tohoku region than Zao.
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread