Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Trip in June-July 2009/6/22 19:16
1. Can I purchase a single trip on the lavender Express train (on JR) from Sapporo to Furano without the JR Pass?

2. Is it easy to drive at Furano - Biei? Its summer time and there are special train & buses (Twinkle Bus) by JR so I'm not sure if taking public transport will be a easier mode as compared to driving, and maybe getting lost.

3. How to get to Sounkyo Onsen from either Furano or Biei? I would like to stay one night there.

4. Helly Valley at Noboribetsu. Is it walkable? Or need to drive?

thanks!
by EL (guest)  

... 2009/6/23 17:13
Can I purchase a single trip on the lavender Express train (on JR) from Sapporo to Furano without the JR Pass?

Yes.

Is it easy to drive at Furano - Biei?

Yes.

How to get to Sounkyo Onsen from either Furano or Biei? I would like to stay one night there.

Via Asahikawa.

Helly Valley at Noboribetsu. Is it walkable?

Yes, it is walkable from the onsen town center.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Help 2009/6/23 19:44
Hi Uji,

thank you!

1. How much is the single ticket on Lavender Express? What about the biei-furano norokko train? Price? Where to find the time table and where to purchase? Need to book pior?

2. Im not sure if i should drive or take the JR train. Is driving from sapporo to furano/biei to sounkyo onsen to ashashikawa easy? Understand there is GPS but is the roads structured (especially in Sapporo since its City area with big junctions) with clear directions? There are only 2 of us and 1 driver...
And do I have to drive pass ashashikawa in order to get to the onsen resort? Intend to stay 1 night there.

Read from some sites that traffic might be slow and no parking lot at Furano. Im there from 1st - 5th July. True? Is that the peak?

3. Need to catch a flight at Asahikawa on 5th July Sunday morning 955am. Should be staying overnight at either Furano or Biei. How long does it takes to drive to the airport and will the road be jammed?

If i dont drive, how am i going to get to the airport in time for my flight?

4. How do i get to sounkyn onsen on public transport? Im looking for nice onsen with good scenary. Any good ones?

thank you!

by EL (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/24 07:28
How much is the single ticket on Lavender Express? What about the biei-furano norokko train? Price? Where to find the time table and where to purchase? Need to book pior?

Lavender Express:
4170 yen for unreserved seats
around 4700 yen for reserved seats

2. Im not sure if i should drive or take the JR train. Is driving from sapporo to furano/biei to sounkyo onsen to ashashikawa easy?

Yes, it is easy.

Understand there is GPS but is the roads structured (especially in Sapporo since its City area with big junctions) with clear directions?

Sapporo is very easily structured with a grid layout. Nevertheless, finding the correct expressway entrance is a little bit challenging. If you want to avoid Sapporo, you could take the train to Asahikawa or Furano and rent a car from there.

And do I have to drive pass ashashikawa in order to get to the onsen resort?

Which onsen resort? Sounkyo? Sounkyo is beyond Asahikawa.

Read from some sites that traffic might be slow and no parking lot at Furano.

When I went there in late June, it was not crowded, at all, but I was a little bit too early for the lavender. I doubt that it will be overly crowded. Also, weekends are likely more crowded than weekdays.

Need to catch a flight at Asahikawa on 5th July Sunday morning 955am. Should be staying overnight at either Furano or Biei.

Biei is very close to Asahikawa Airport.

How long does it takes to drive to the airport and will the road be jammed?

I think it is only around 15 minutes. Note that there is no gasoline stand around the terminal building. Roads are very unlikely to be jammed.

If i dont drive, how am i going to get to the airport in time for my flight?

There are airport buses from Furano, which stop in Biei along the way.

How do i get to sounkyn onsen on public transport?

By bus from Asahikawa. Or train and bus via Kamikawa:
http://www.youthhostel.or.jp/sounkyo/access_e.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread